wifi driver problem

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

entropy23

wifi driver problem

Post by entropy23 »

Hey everyone

I'm a greenie on kxstudio (it's also my very first time on a linux system so I still have much, much to learn), and after the installation my first reflex was to connect to my wifi but nothing I tried works. I came here for help because I can't find any useful information from the other forums (especially because I'm still a noob and most discussions get technical very quickly)

I had no available connections whatsoever, so I think that the problem comes from the network card driver not being installed properly. I use a MediaTek 802.11n usb adapter and I have no access to an ethernet cable (although I can tether my phone as I'm doing now).

I'm completely lost, so any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
khz
Established Member

Re: wifi driver problem

Post by khz »

Welcome.
Have you done that yet?
khz wrote:If "dmesg" shows something, then install the missing packages.

Code: Select all

Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ dmesg | grep failed
Example "dmesg" output "firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw": Search with Startpage (or Google) after it. >> "apt-get install firmware-realtek"
Always use the LAN cable connection for Internet connection during installation.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.