Low Latency Kernel On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

asio4allmusic

Low Latency Kernel On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Postby asio4allmusic » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi,
i'm new on this website so if i'm gonna break some rules tell me please :D
Anyway, i'm about to install the new version of ubuntu 18.04 lts and i want to install low latency kernel too and a audio driver for my native instruments komplete audio 6 to run reaper (natively without wine).

I don't want to install ubuntu studio because of two reasons:
1) i want to learn about drivers,kernels and stuff on linux
2) i want to keep things very clean and easy so only os,lowlatency kernel,drivers & reaper stop

Can you help me out ? maybe with some simply tutorial ?

Ty a lot <3

wjl
Establlshed Member

Re: Low Latency Kernel On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Postby wjl » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am

Hi asio4allmusic,

welcome on the LinuxMusicians forum. You've found the right place, and also asked the right questions, which I'll briefly try to answer here.

asio4allmusic wrote:...i'm about to install the new version of ubuntu 18.04 lts

A good choice for a beginner with Linux IMHO. My wife runs that, I have the older 16.04 at work, and use plain Debian on my machine at home.

For music production, I did however also configure the additional repositories from KXStudio ( see http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/ for more info ), which I always recommend for Debian and/or Ubuntu musicians. With the installation of their metapackages, you'll get tons of free software, and tools like Carla or Cadence exist only there.

asio4allmusic wrote:i want to learn about drivers,kernels and stuff on linux

The best resources I know if you want to learn are the wonderful manual of our fellow musician Glen McArthur who made AVLinux ( see http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ - his manual is at http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf ). The pages starting at 60, or even 72 should answer some questions about system setup. Another good resource is LibreMusicProduction, like for instance in http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack where they explain how to setup Jack, and why you might want to have Cadence for this.

asio4allmusic wrote:i want to keep things very clean and easy so only os,lowlatency kernel,drivers & reaper stop

As for drivers, you probably don't need them. You have the Komplete Audio interface? I don't know much about that, but chances are that if it doesn't need drivers for Macs (because of their CoreOS), you will probably also have that plug & play experience on Linux. Just see if it is registered as a class compliant USB device, and if the system settings in Ubuntu see it as an audio device. If yes, then you can go on with the low latency kernel, Jack, and so on.

Hope this helps for your first steps. I haven't tried Reaper except on Windows, but I hear that it should run just fine by now. It might help to read Glen's thoughts about 32 and 64 bits, and to check Carla to integrate Windows VSTs in case you want them. I personally stay even more native to the system, and prefer LV2 (over VSTs), and Ardour (over any existing emulated or ported software).

Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog

asio4allmusic

Postby asio4allmusic » Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 am

Hi wolfgang,
thank you a lot for your reply it was very useful !

Speaking about my audio interface yes it is usb compliant and yes it is plug&play on ubuntu so i'm super lucky. 8)

I will read the manuals you gave me and no, i will not use windows vst on reaper...

and to check Carla to integrate Windows VSTs in case you want them

...but it doesnt support a lot of linux vst too... so i will anyway use carla for the moment hoping in future releases ! :roll:

Best Regards,
Nicola

asbak
Establlshed Member

Postby asbak » Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 am

Hi there

The learning curve (to really get to the point where you understand things and your system is mostly working well) is quite steep, so be prepared to do a lot of reading & experimentation.

Also, if you really want to learn about kernels, configuration etc you probably need a spare drive (drives are cheap) so you can practice things on there and if you break the OS, it doesn't matter and you can start over.

There are a lot of compromises between having a system set up the easy way (ie via repos, pre baked distros, packages etc) and having your system work reliably and the way you need it to work.

The more you rely on distros and pre-baked stuff the more you become a hostage to it (it's a bit like being trapped in a walled garden from commercial software vendors) and you'll soon realise that when things don't work that you need to work, you cannot really do much about it until whoever maintains packages & distros fix the particular issue. In such cases you're better off knowing how to fix it yourself, but then you need to be more self-reliant and this takes much more effort & time to learn.

System libraries (as provided by the OS vendors) are often old and missing functionality which some packages require.

Core audio libraries (like jack) are provided with things like DBus enabled which often screws up and can be very confusing to troubleshoot for newcomers.

There are endless issues which, until you become familiar with them, is going to lead to problems down the road. So understand what you are getting into (it's a rocky road) and good luck. =)

ubuntuuser
Establlshed Member

Postby ubuntuuser » Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am

asio4allmusic wrote:Hi,
i'm new on this website so if i'm gonna break some rules tell me please :D
Anyway, i'm about to install the new version of ubuntu 18.04 lts and i want to install low latency kernel too and a audio driver for my native instruments komplete audio 6 to run reaper (natively without wine).

I don't want to install ubuntu studio because of two reasons:
1) i want to learn about drivers,kernels and stuff on linux
2) i want to keep things very clean and easy so only os,lowlatency kernel,drivers & reaper stop

Can you help me out ? maybe with some simply tutorial ?

Ty a lot <3

There are realtime (rt) and lowlatency ubuntu kernels at http://simosnet.com/debian/packages/Kon ... tu/kernel/

For Ubuntu 18.04 rt kernel

Install headers first

linux-headers-4.14.18-rt15-klue-rt_amd64.deb

then the kernel image

linux-image-4.14.18-rt15-klue-rt_amd64.deb

Might have to uninstall irqbalance sudo dpkg --purge irqbalance so that the kernel image installs.

ubuntuuser
Establlshed Member

Postby ubuntuuser » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 am

There is also the Liquorix Kernel

https://liquorix.net/

Return to “HOW TOs, Tips & Tricks”