AVL-MXE 21

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

guitarmikAVL

AVL-MXE 21

Post by guitarmikAVL »

Hi there. Former user of AVL-MXE 20, I never managed to register wineasio dll (in order to get Mididiguitar2 to work : a problem with wine 6.*.*) . Tried to run an older version of Wine (5.*.*) : same shame. Installed AVL-MXE 21 : SAME SHAME (plus : who DOES really think OpenBox is handier ?). Had same problem between Mint 18 and 19 ! Question : what the heck is going on with our favourite distribs ? I mean : why are all the handful options gradually disappearing with the latest distrib' versions ? Are they all "Ubuntu-ing" (or, worse, "Microsoft-ing") ? Shall we have to abdicate on EVERYTHING we love in Linux ? I'm worried... I wouldn't like to have to afford a Mac ! Thanks for your attention (and some CLI tricks...). Mike
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: AVL-MXE 21

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I don't know exactly what you problem is. What do you want to do? Do you want to run the Windows software "Midi Guitar 2" (link)? And is your complaint that it used to work just fine on your old Linux distribution?

Unfortunately Windows software, especially those that need a driver on Windows, will not run smoothly on Linux.

If you want to "do things Linux" and want to ask for help, I always advice to use a distribution that many people use so it's relatively easy to get help. So the first thing that I'd do if I were you is to install XUbuntu (since I have the impression that you do not seem to like the standard Ubuntu desktop). XUbuntu uses XFCE as a desktop environment that looks and feels more like the Linux distro's from yesteryear.

I don't know how AVL-MXE handles audio, and I am most certainly not gonna try to find out. Some distro's handle (audio) things in away that is not compatible with some software that's installed per default in your average basic distro.

Maybe somebody experienced in AVL will reply.

Good luck. :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:03 pmIf you want to "do things Linux" and want to ask for help, I always advice to use a distribution that many people use so it's relatively easy to get help. So the first thing that I'd do if I were you is to install XUbuntu (since I have the impression that you do not seem to like the standard Ubuntu desktop). XUbuntu uses XFCE as a desktop environment that looks and feels more like the Linux distro's from yesteryear.

I don't know how AVL-MXE handles audio, and I am most certainly not gonna try to find out. Some distro's handle (audio) things in away that is not compatible with some software that's installed per default in your average basic distro.

Maybe somebody experienced in AVL will reply.
AVL-MXE handles audio in a very standard way - JACK > ALSA with PulseAudio enabled via pulseaudio-module-jack, probably exactly the same way Xubuntu would do it.
AVL-MXE is one of a very small handful of distros dedicated to media production and is configured and tweaked to do it very well. For someone less technically inclined to do their own config and tweaking it is the best option. It is based on MX Linux which is based on Debian so as such help is easy to come by, especially when its developer is a regular on this forum.

I would guess this issue has everything to do with WINE and nothing related to distro.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@sunrat: thanks for the explanation. :)