Please share your gnu/linux music production setup

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Fil
Established Member

Please share your gnu/linux music production setup

Post by Fil »

Hello everyone, I'm finishing my bachelor work about music production software under GNU/Linux and I would like to ask you about your gear (hardware) and the software that you work with. It would be a nice addendum to my work, the experience from other people, not only my own. So the format would be like this:

Name: Filip (optional)
Usage: home studio, professional recording studio, sound design, live performance etc.
Hardware used: laptop Dell Latitude E6400 with Ricoh fw adapter (if you have a fw device), M-Audio ProFire 610
Software used (software you use the most - DAW, synths, sequencers.. also with distro you use): Linux Mint with KXStudio, Ardour, LMMS, Hydrogen, Musescore, Zynaddsubfx
Issues with the system (problems, complaints): system is unstable when using the fw adapter by Ricoh
Overall rating (satisfied, works like a charm, has stability issues.. add what you feel fits your feelings the most): has its ups and downs, but works for me

Thanks to everybody :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Please share your gnu/linux music production setup

Post by funkmuscle »

Guitarix, Hydrogen, Ardour, Qjackctl, Qsynth, Seq24, LMMS, IR, Calf, Invada.. Almost anything that works for the current need.... on a Sony Vaio... ArchLinux..
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Name: Antanas
Usage: home recordings
Hardware used: laptop Dell Inspiron 1720 with Tascam us-122l usb audio interface.
Software used: Arch Linux, QjackCtl, Ardour, Hydrogen, guitarix, LV2 plugins and more.
Issues with the system: Needed simple .asoundrc file to get usb soundcard working.
Overall rating: everything's fine :)

Usage: StartFM radio broadcasting
Hardware used: AudioScience 6012
Software used: OpenSUSE 11.4, Rivendell 2.02, Audacity
Issues with the system: Rivendell has a lot of bugs and system crashes sometimes.
Overall rating: Usable but needs lots of tweeking.

Usage: StartFM recordings
Hardware used: RME Hammerfall DSP 9632
Software used: Ubuntu 10.10, QjackCtl, Ardour, Renoise, etc
Issues with the system: Needed to write simple script to run on startup to get soundcard working.
Overall rating: satisfied.

These are the machines I use the most. We also use icecast, darkice and lots of another stuff for StartFM radio. I could give you more detailed info if you need something
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

Name: Steve
Usage: home studio
Hardware used: Home-built tower PC. AMD X2 4600+, 2GB, 23" LCD. Zoom H4 (as interface), M-Audio UNO, Korg nanoKontrol
Software used: Kubuntu, Jack, Ardour, Hydrogen, Rosegarden, Qsynth/Fluidsynth
Issues with the system (problems, complaints): We use multiple accounts for the family and sometimes one account gets sound and others can't have it. For audio work I generally log everyone else out. Haven't optimised Jack for latency yet and get the odd xrun. Otherwise very stable.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

This: http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projec ... _livesetup

The only difference is that these days instead of HarmonySEQ currently I use my own sequencers written in Pd and QMidiArp.
Fil
Established Member

Post by Fil »

Thanks everyone, this helps a lot.
hellalive
Established Member

Post by hellalive »

Name: Federico
Usage: home recordings/bedroom studio
Hardware: assembly AMD phenom X6 3.3 GHz, 4 Gb RAM, Asus motherboard. M-audio Fast Track, in a few days i'll get an evolution mk249-c midi/usb keyboard
Software used: Kxstudio over Ubuntu 10.04, realtime kernel, using klaudia and other tools - so jack and ladish, ardour, rosegarden, hydrogen, LV2, DSP, LADSPA, some VST's, zynaddsubfx, and some others.
Issues with the system: with a little help, very stable. Kxstudio has really improved my audio experience, no big issues at all - some minor problems with synths as instrument plugins. Had to tweak a little rtirq as my sound card is USB, but now i can play with MIDI and relatively complex mixes with a latency of 11.6 ms without having to worry much about xruns, and i can record with 5.(don't remember) ms of latency without troubles. I use this system on a dedicated partition just for audio, for home use with multiple accounts etc i have an Ubuntu 11.04 installation.
He had a lot of nithing to say, we'll miss him
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Name: MattKingUSA
Usage: Indie label music production
Hardware used: HP TC4400 Tablet, Behringer mixer, mxl mics 990/991, 24bit pcmcia sound card from creative
Software used: LMMS, Audacity, Ardour, Hydrogen

Issues:no 24bit compatible driver for the sound card. But there is 0 latency.

-Matt :D

Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

MattKingUSA wrote:
damn, that gotta suck
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Capoeira wrote:
MattKingUSA wrote:
damn, that gotta suck
It sucks but it's not as sucky as recording on a windows machine.

-Matt :D

tsquared89

Post by tsquared89 »

Hello all,

Quick question for those of you using zynaddsubfx with Rosegarden - do you use zynaddsubfx-dssi? If so, could you tell me where you downloaded it (what repository). Thanks!

(I apologize if this post is a little out of place, but I'm new here and I couldn't find a better place for it. If there is a more appropriate forum please let me know!)
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

Name: Stijn
Usage: home recording
Hardware: assembly Intel i5 3.30 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, Asus motherboard. RME Multiface2+behringer ADA8000. M-audio Axiom 49 keyboardcontroller and Behringer BCF2000 daw controller.
Synth: MFB-522, Korg-Er1, x0xb0x, Roland JP-8080, Microkorg, Novation KS5, Novation Bass station rack, Novation Drumstation v2,
Software used from Debian testing/unstable and self compiled : Ardour 3 Beta, DrMr lv2, Invada lv2, Distrho Pack plugins, Linuxdsp de-esser(will buy other plugins too in future), Yoshimi, swh-lv2,so-synth-lv2, Hydrogen, Bristol,...
Issues with the system: None, everything is running smooth and stable at 2.8ms latency.
Last edited by tripomatic on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Name: Nacho
Usage: home recording
Hardware used: laptop Compaq CQ50, USB microphone Samson G-Track
Software used: Puppy Linux, QjackCtl, Ardour, Hydrogen, Rakarrack, ZynaddSubFX.
Issues with the system: All great.
Overall rating: happy penguin
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Usage: live performance
Hardware used: Compaq Presario CQ61
Software used: Ubuntu Studio 12.04, favourite programs: Ardour, Guitarix, LV2rack, Calf.
Issues with the system: Need to run a script to avoid xruns clusters at every 2 minutes. Follow this page, "Disabling everything you don't need" section: http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... imits.conf
Overall rating: SO GOOD!!!

Usage: Home studio
Hardware used: Assembled penguin: Asus K8V-MX motherboard, AMD Sempron, 512 Mb of RAM, Behringher Uca 202, Creative SoundBlaster 5.1, M-Audio keystation 88es
Software used: Ubuntu Studio 10.04
Issues with the system: No one (is better to run LXDE and WICD)
Overall rating: 9 years old + 5.33 ms of latency = he's my PRIDE AND JOY!
Flymo
Established Member

Post by Flymo »

After a long layoff, I'm building something up again around a laptop.

Name: Ben
Usage: home studio, maybe live performance eventually, focus is on Akai EWI USB as main instrument.
Hardware used: Acer 5684 laptop - T5600 C2D @ 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB HDD, USB2MIDI x2, USB Audio x1
Software used: UbuntuStudio 12.04, Jack, Patchage, experimenting with Zyn, Fluid, Hexter, AMS and a stack of other stuff whilst I get the hang of things, including Wine for the EWI software by Garritan - which is not running right, yet.
Issues with the system: Pretty stable so far, except for AMS which has crashed once, during the Tutorials! Main focus is to get the breath/aftertouch Controller working well with a range of synths, evaluate their merits and then sort out a DAW.
Overall rating: Happy as a pig in the proverbial! :D