Name that guitar!

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jan
Established Member

Name that guitar!

Post by Jan »

Okay: Ten geek points for everyone who knows whose guitar that is.

And yes, I know that I am losing my hair.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
SR
Established Member

Re: Name that guitar!

Post by SR »

Wild guess: Washburn replica of Nuno Bettencourt's home made guitar from way back in the day.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

SR wrote:Wild guess: Washburn replica of Nuno Bettencourt's home made guitar from way back in the day.
6 and a half points.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

That ís Nuno Bettencourt's guitar, he has a Washburn endorsement. How was the interview Jan?
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

AutoStatic wrote:That ís Nuno Bettencourt's guitar, he has a Washburn endorsement. How was the interview Jan?
10 points for you, Jeremy!

Nuno was the nicest guy! The different management contacts were very confusing and confused, so after a lengthy back and forth Nuno himself came to take me into the Festhalle. We went on stage, he showed me everything and expained his equipment in detail. Then we did the interview, Nuno got us something to eat while he was organizing photo passes, so that we can take pictures. Shortly before the gig he showed us around the stage into the audience, where we took some very nice pictures.

I admit, I was a little starstruck, very nervous and completely overwhelmed by the whole experience. I expected that someone from management would take me quickly through the gates, give me ca. 20 minutes for the interview and then hand me the photo passes and allow me totake some quick pictures of the equipment. But Nuno did it all himself and was an all around nice guy.

Rihannas show is massive. There must have been 200+ people working and I have to admit that this was a really good rock show, which I didn't expect at all. I really enjoyed it. Guitar duels, rock poses, incredible lighting - it was all there. Even the prices for the tickets are surprisingly low. A woman told me she paid only 55 Euros. No wonder it was sold out and the crowd went mad.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

I attended one of his guitar clinics here in Houston about 20 years ago when he was with Extreme. He was very entertaining. I think I remember him saying the head stock was specially designed so that he could twirl it on his finger.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Wow, seems like a real hefty experience! You must've felt like a kid in a toystore :)
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

AutoStatic wrote:Wow, seems like a real hefty experience! You must've felt like a kid in a toystore :)
Yes, i did -- although Nuno has less equipment than most amateurs. He has two of his amp stacks and a little floorboard with an Octaver, a Tuner and a Boss GT-8. He likes to keep it very simple. Oh, and he uses a spoon. :)
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

SR wrote:I attended one of his guitar clinics here in Houston about 20 years ago when he was with Extreme. He was very entertaining. I think I remember him saying the head stock was specially designed so that he could twirl it on his finger.
Bugger, I didn't ask him about the headstock. Would have been nice to get that into the article.
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

Congratulations Jan!
The names Nuno Bettencourt and Extreme bring back memories of the early 90's to me when I was quite a fan of hard rock and metal. I remember Nuno as an outstanding guitarist and seeing him in interviews on MTV (where I used to watch 'Headbangers Ball' back in those days :) )
By the way, don't want to be impatient but when and where can we read your interview?

cheers,
Patrick
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

PatS wrote:Congratulations Jan!
The names Nuno Bettencourt and Extreme bring back memories of the early 90's to me when I was quite a fan of hard rock and metal. I remember Nuno as an outstanding guitarist and seeing him in interviews on MTV (where I used to watch 'Headbangers Ball' back in those days :) )
By the way, don't want to be impatient but when and where can we read your interview?

cheers,
Patrick
Ah, Headbangers Ball. That's when MTV used to play actual music, right? ;-) I used to love MTV - my favourite was Rebecca deRuvo (yummy!), I think she was on 'Dial MTV'. Oh yes, and Ray Cokes was the best. I wonder how I understood what they talked about. I was 13 or 14 at the time.

You can read the interview in the next issue of Soundcheck. Must be in stores around the 12th or 13th or something.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

And does he use Ubuntu?
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

Jan wrote: Ah, Headbangers Ball. That's when MTV used to play actual music, right? ;-) I used to love MTV - my favourite was Rebecca deRuvo (yummy!), I think she was on 'Dial MTV'. Oh yes, and Ray Cokes was the best. I wonder how I understood what they talked about. I was 13 or 14 at the time.
Yep, the good ol' times...
I was around 20 in those days and suddenly being able to watch MTV (and a few other channels) kind of started reviving my English which had been 'dormant' for about 10 years after a bilingual childhood and finally settling in Germany again.
So yes, I guess I understood the guys on MTV quite well...probably didn't give my intelectual level much of a boost though :)
I must have missed Rebecca deRuvo, don't remember her name anyway, but I'm sure she was very yummy :). As hosts of Headbangers Ball I remember Christiane Backer (slight but irritating German accent) and Vanessa Warwick. Ray Cokes of course is unforgettable!
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

studio32 wrote:And does he use Ubuntu?
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he runs on Ubuntu: Fast, reliable, versatile - and he's very good looking, too.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

PatS wrote:As hosts of Headbangers Ball I remember Christiane Backer (slight but irritating German accent) and Vanessa Warwick. Ray Cokes of course is unforgettable!
As soon as they got more german hosts (I think there were some others besides Kristiane Bakker) and opened a completely german channel, I lost interest.