Odin...something good?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Odin...something good?

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi all,
First off : to the mods, sorry if I have put this is the wrong...
So, I discovered Odin, a synth.
It's not in the (standard) repo...so...here we go again..."to install or not to install, that is the question"
But...is it any good?
Thanks
Melissa
LAM
Established Member

Re: Odin...something good?

Post by LAM »

OccinticLady wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:49 pm But...is it any good?
It's a great synth, its only real downside is its quite heavy CPU usage, not recommended on low end machines.

Using Odin2 Libre Synthesizer for the First Time!

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

LAM wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:02 pm
OccinticLady wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:49 pm But...is it any good?
It's a great synth, its only real downside is its quite heavy CPU usage, not recommended on low end machines.

Using Odin2 Libre Synthesizer for the First Time!
Thanks for that info. If three instances of Zyn make the fan go wild even with the laptop cooler AND an external fan...I think I'll pass on that one, then :wink:
Melissa
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

It's definitely worth installing. It's very powerful with lots of oscillator and filter types. I haven't ever noticed it being heavy on CPU but perhaps that depends on what you're doing with it and what hardware you have.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

sysrqer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm It's definitely worth installing. It's very powerful with lots of oscillator and filter types. I haven't ever noticed it being heavy on CPU but perhaps that depends on what you're doing with it and what hardware you have.
Hardware is an Elitebook 8540p. It starts to howl from three instances of Zyn, that is why I offloaded the load to a second laptop and use QMidinet to control the off-shore synths...
I doubt the lil' lady can manage the synth...maybe the Dell can, dunnow. But that one is strictly synths only, does'nt need to hold Qtractor and such...dunnow...maybe the Dell?
Thanks for the info...
Melissa
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

OccinticLady wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:44 pm Elitebook 8540p
I've got the 8570 actaully but I don't really use it any more. I just gave it a try in reaper and I got 11 instances playing the first lead preset before the audio started to suffer. That's with 512 and 48khz.

I think surge xt is probably deeper but less immediate.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

It's a well built, great sounding synth! I highly recommend it! :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

OccinticLady wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:44 pm Hardware is an Elitebook 8540p. It starts to howl from three instances of Zyn, that is why I offloaded the load to a second laptop and use QMidinet to control the off-shore synths...
Sure it depends what kind of patch you are running in Zyn.

But in general, if you are running out of CPU power, you can 'Bounce' or 'Freeze' some tracks. Meaning play synth track1, and record it as audio. After it when working on other synth tracks, disable synth track1. Be sure to disable it so that synth does not run. Just mute it most likely won't do the trick.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

tavasti wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:38 am
OccinticLady wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:44 pm Hardware is an Elitebook 8540p. It starts to howl from three instances of Zyn, that is why I offloaded the load to a second laptop and use QMidinet to control the off-shore synths...
Sure it depends what kind of patch you are running in Zyn.

But in general, if you are running out of CPU power, you can 'Bounce' or 'Freeze' some tracks. Meaning play synth track1, and record it as audio. After it when working on other synth tracks, disable synth track1. Be sure to disable it so that synth does not run. Just mute it most likely won't do the trick.
Super!
More studiowork, but in general, this is the way out. Instead of having the whole "orchestra" play the MIDI tracks...so the extra work pays of greatly...
I see a lot of advantage here, I'd have to go track by track, ajusting as I go. That will drive the quality up even more...thanks a ton! :)
Melissa
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would chime in to say:

1. Odin is quite awesome and, I think, well designed. It has made it easier for me to build up my sound step by step (as opposed to having a million confusing options thrown at me all at once. [That's not a diss to any particular synth :) ])

2. I can't say I've noticed it requiring much more resources than Zyn. But, like @tavasti wrote, it depends what you're doing with Zyn

I hope you ended up checking it out. I'm so glad I did!