Did you know...

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Did you know...

Post by OccinticLady »

...that the Korg Monologue, when hooked up via MIDI and functions as a MIDI controller for a (say) saftsynth, is...polyphonic?
Just discovered that myself...how cool is that! :D
asbak
Established Member

Re: Did you know...

Post by asbak »

A midi controller without a synth section is "no-phonic".

In this case the Korg happens to be a midi controller while the softsynth is polyphonic. The MIDI controller section will generate whatever MIDI data you generate by pressing keys and - if it applies - turning pots & pressing switches.

The Korg itself is still monophonic, that will not change unless you re-engineer and rebuild its synth section.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

What @asbak said.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

What @Linuxmusician01 said about what @asbak said.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Wot dem all sed :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Whud dem all sed about dem all.

Yes, this is exceedingly silly and pointless. But as long as I get paid while I'm supposed to be working, it's all good.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@j_e_f_f_g
as long as I get paid while I'm supposed to be working, it's all good.
And as long as they keep pretending to pay you.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_cPpV3Pik
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Wot you ALL said! :D
Basically, I think that the synth is controlled by a MIDI controller. So, I can use an other keyboard to control the monologue (in mono) but the other way round, I can "downgrade" the monologue to a mere (but polyphonic) MIDI coontroller.
Heh...just foolin' round...
Lov' ya all :wink:
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Hi OccinticLady

The lesson here is that polyphony is not a valid attribute of a MIDI controller, so there is no such thing as a "polyphonic MIDI controller".

It's just a MIDI controller that generates MIDI events. MIDI events are just a set of instructions, serially transmitted, telling the synth engine what it should be doing. Note on, note off, which notes, their duration and so on. If I recall correctly all instructions are sequential ie they are transmitted one after the other via the serial line.

So for example, when you play a chord on a MIDI controller each note in that chord is generated at a slightly different time following on from the other notes in the same chord. Because this happens so fast we cannot hear or perceive this. At least I think that's how it works, if I'm mistaken then obviously somebody can feel free to correct me.

Polyphony - and whether or not the synth engine is multitimbral meaning it can simultaneously generate different sounds - is determined by the synth engine. Not the MIDI controller.

Think of it like a PC Keyboard vs the PC. The Keyboard doesn't determine the characteristics & abilities of the PC, the amount of storage, the amount of memory, the CPU speed, the graphics capabilities etc. It's just an interface through which to interact with the PC and send instructions to it.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Thank you @OccinticLady, I think this is a good find to present to us. This is not the case with all monophonic MIDI synth keybeds, so it can be useful to know.

All ways to use existing gear is interesting. (I do not own the Monologue, but I own a monophonic synth with keyboard that does send velocity although it can't receive it/use it. That can also be useful to know.)

Thanks for sharing! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

oscillator wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:52 pm Thank you @OccinticLady, I think this is a good find to present to us. This is not the case with all monophonic MIDI synth keybeds, so it can be useful to know.

All ways to use existing gear is interesting. (I do not own the Monologue, but I own a monophonic synth with keyboard that does send velocity although it can't receive it/use it. That can also be useful to know.)

Thanks for sharing! :)
It's escpecially usefull if one needs that extra MIDI controller and not the ascociated synth. It's either that of get (yet) and extra keyboard...and I ran out of space :lol:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

This reminds me of that time, I had borrowed a Yamaha DX 7, which I hooked up to my Atari ST with Cubase.

I run into a problem, when playing a midi file.

Then I learned about polyphonic and multitimbral.

The Yamaha DX7 can't play different instrument at one time.

A DX 7 is polyphonic but not multitimbral, is the right way to word this if I am not mistaken. :)

Its something I do love about these days.

To achieve the same as with an Atari ST and a real hardware synthesizer, we now can do more by just installing LMMS and any other DAW.
The same at a much lower price. (although I still struggle, to have LMMS sound as good as that Yamaha DX 7)

Once asked about this on the LMMS forum, why does lmms sound so tiny compared to a DX7?
That question offended some people working on LMMS. Did I have any idea how hard it was to make presets ?

I still think they never heard a real Yamaha DX7, other wise they would not be offended.

I am quite happy with my latest track though, A Vangelis cover. This was about the first time I produced a track that actual starts to really sound good.
( and not like yet another tune made on a pc )
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Gps wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:25 pm This reminds me of that time, I had borrowed a Yamaha DX 7, which I hooked up to my Atari ST with Cubase.

I run into a problem, when playing a midi file.

Then I learned about polyphonic and multitimbral.

The Yamaha DX7 can't play different instrument at one time.

A DX 7 is polyphonic but not multitimbral, is the right way to word this if I am not mistaken. :)

Its something I do love about these days.

To achieve the same as with an Atari ST and a real hardware synthesizer, we now can do more by just installing LMMS and any other DAW.
The same at a much lower price. (although I still struggle, to have LMMS sound as good as that Yamaha DX 7)

Once asked about this on the LMMS forum, why does lmms sound so tiny compared to a DX7?
That question offended some people working on LMMS. Did I have any idea how hard it was to make presets ?

I still think they never heard a real Yamaha DX7, other wise they would not be offended.

I am quite happy with my latest track though, A Vangelis cover. This was about the first time I produced a track that actual starts to really sound good.
( and not like yet another tune made on a pc )
Honestly, I'd go for HARDware any time over software, but you have to be able to afford the thing and the space...I dont have that much of either... :lol:
Where is your latest track located? Any chance I can get to listen to it?
Thanks
Melissa
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Here ya go:

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/alphacover

96% finished.

If I win the lottery there is already a list of hardware synths I want. :mrgreen:
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Gps wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:26 pm Here ya go:

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/alphacover

96% finished.

If I win the lottery there is already a list of hardware synths I want. :mrgreen:
Just got tempted for a Korm m3r, still need to get it up n runnin' :D
Thanks for the link...Vangelis would be flattered...I'm sure :)