Building a Hammond

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jan
Established Member

Building a Hammond

Post by Jan »

A friend of my father has a disassembled Hammond and offered to give it to me for free! :D

I don't know the model yet (I suspect it's from the 70's, maybe B3 or C3), but I know that I have to build a casing myself. Everything is there, with diagrams how to build it, and I am very excited. I don't know why I need a Hammond and I certainly don't have any room for it (let alone the room to build it), but I am sure I am an idiot to let this opportunity pass!

I still have to get it from Hamburg to me, but that will be the least of my worries, I think.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
spm_gl
Established Member

Re: Building a Hammond

Post by spm_gl »

I don't know why I need a Hammond
There is no reason NOT to have a Hammond :D
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
horo
Established Member

Post by horo »

+1
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

I have the confirmation that it is a C3! It was bought used in the 70`s, so it could easily be built in the 60's. My father even could remember that he helped to disassemble it ca. 1980. So this thing laid in a basement for roughly as long as I live.

I can't wait to get this baby running and build a casing for it that looks really cool. Design suggestions are welcome! :-)

And of course you are right, spm_gl: It's stupid that I even question the owning of a vintage gem like this.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
Torcaza
Established Member

Post by Torcaza »

Jan wrote:I don't know why I need a Hammond
When you plug it on and hit the keys you'll realize that you DO need a Hammond!!! Good job and good luck!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Jan wrote:I have the confirmation that it is a C3! It was bought used in the 70`s, so it could easily be built in the 60's. My father even could remember that he helped to disassemble it ca. 1980. So this thing laid in a basement for roughly as long as I live.

I can't wait to get this baby running and build a casing for it that looks really cool. Design suggestions are welcome! :-)

And of course you are right, spm_gl: It's stupid that I even question the owning of a vintage gem like this.
Congratulations! I believe the C3 was built in the sixties at the latest. Otherwise I suggest that you get your tips and tricks for restoring it at http://www.organforum.com under the Hammond organ section. People are very helpful over there. See you over there, as I spend a lot of time there under the name "frankc" - current membership card is a T522c and an E-112, and a previous owner of an L-112.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.