UMC1820 & ADA8200 ADAT Issues

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

retnev
Established Member

UMC1820 & ADA8200 ADAT Issues

Post by retnev »

Anyone has a complete setup tutorial how to get the ADA8200 to use all8 inputs in mixbus / Ardour on Linux ?

I have been using UMC1820 for a year now and it is absolutely spectacular.
However, the ADA8200 is troublesome.

Upon receiving the ADA18200, I ran into immediate problems.
Only channels 7&8 of the ADA8200 passes sound to Ardour/Mixbus

My setup is as follows
  • 1) I connected the ADA8200 Optical out to the UMC1820 optical in
    2) I set optical on front panel of UMC1820 to ADAT.
    3) On the back of the ADA9200 I set the clock to have the ADA9200 as master.
    This should be the safest as the master clock runs then from ADA9200 and is sync'd to by UMC1820.
    4) the indicators on the front of the ADA8200 shows it syncs and is master.
    5) In mixbus I connect the ADA8200 to channels 11-18 and activate them.
At this stage I encounter a problem.
Only channels 7&8 of the ADA8200 passes sound to Mixbus although the channels 1-6 are all connected same way in mixbus as 7-8.
  • 6) Using Patchage I can see that there are 18 capture inputs made available by alsa and they are all connected to Mixbus.
    7) Curiously though in alsamixer, selecting F6 and UMC1820 as sound card, and viewing the inputs, I only see 10 inputs!
    "8") Maybe Alsa blocks the remaining inputs as there are no volume controls except for 10 (8 analog + 2 spdif)
    9) The clock in alsa was set to ADAT.
So how did you guys get to use all 16 mic inputs of the UMC1820&ADA8200 combination ?
I seem to end at a dead door with only 10 usable inputs 8 from the UMC1820 and 2 from the ADA8200 (the last two 7&8 works)

The exact hardware setup above with the ADA8200/UMC1820 works in windows 8.1 and all channels are read and passes sound. So the Hardware setup is NOT at fault and I did that right.
bluebell
Established Member

Re: UMC1820 & ADA8200 ADAT Issues

Post by bluebell »

My ADA8200 works fine on my MOTU UltraLite AVB with Linux.

To check if it's a jackd or Mixbus problem I'd try to use Audacity and record all channels at once a) via ALSA and b) via jackd.

It could be an ALSA mixer problem (channels muted).

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

I really appreciate your testament that it works with Motu on Linux, so it was no waste to buy. It is the way to go.

You know of nobody that could get all 16 inputs to work with a UMC1820/ADA8200 combination?
If someone here could testify that it works on Linux, it would help me to figure if it is either impossible (UMC1820 only usb compliant for 10 channels) or if I have a config problem.
I dont want to delve into my system right now as it runs a large lot of studio devices flawlessly, except for this issue.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

How many channels in/out does your jackd see?

With my Motu it sees 24 ins and outs in class compliant mode – regardless if the optical in/out is connected or not.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I have an RME HDSP 9632 that has an optical ADAT input. I haven't tried using the ADAT input yet but I can confirm what @bluebell said that in the QjackCtl graph window all 8 ADAT inputs always show up, even without an optical input being connected.

On the RME HDSP 9632 it's possible to use the optical input as ADAT (8 channels) or SPDIF (2 channels).

I can change this in the HDSP control panel.

For the Behringer 1820 is it possible to change this setting in alsamixer?
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

I use UMC1820 and ADA8200 for an ambisonics setup.
This means I don't know so much about the inputs, but I've been dealing quite a bit with the outputs.
And the "Only input 7&8 pass sound through" looks rather similar to my issue of "Output 10-14 won't send any sound" (while all other outputs worked just fine).

I found my solution in this post:
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/behringe ... r/89949/37
suicide0 saved the day for me.
After finding the right sound card in alsamixer and turning every parameter to the max, it all worked.

I hope this could be of help for someone.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

I managed to solve this by myself in another thread at Ardour.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/anyone-u ... lly/106062
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

As the thread at Ardour explains, some channels are sometimes muted or misconfigured in other ways. In this case, apparently on the ADA8200, so they'll need to be unmuted in Alsamixer or an alternative like qasmixer. These kinds of issues - muted channels, unsuitable audio level settings, unsuitable card options etc are very common. The simplest way to visually "fix" these issues is with qasmixer.

If you understand how to use amixer syntax the same thing can be accomplished from the shell, and you can create a map of all your settings and reload it with a script, for example when starting QJackctl. When you reboot and restart Qjackctl (or whatever you use to control jack) it will re-initialise your soundcard settings with the previously configured values.

One could try storing settings with alsactl but this hasn't really worked consistently for me and sometimes soundcard settings would magically change or revert after reboots.

Running an amixer script to reset things to what I need is what works for me.

If you have inputs that don't show up in hardware, then pay attention to retnev's thread.

retnev did mention he had to edit his asound.state file to add missing inputs, and as others explained it may also have "fixed itself" if he'd deleted the original asound.state, then rebooted with the new hardware upon which it should have hopefully generated a new valid one. Either way, he fixed his config file manually.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio