how to use an audio interface with wine and connect studio monitors

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bhs12

how to use an audio interface with wine and connect studio monitors

Post by bhs12 »

Hello, dear users of this page, what audio interface do you recommend to connect my two yamaha h5 studio monitors, and use them mainly to edit audio in ableton live with wine, this program works very well in wine

currently i use ubuntu studio and i have also used av linux.
which audio interface is compatible with linux and does not give problems with wine ..
GuntherT
Established Member

Re: how to use an audio interface with wine and connect studio monitors

Post by GuntherT »

I use the Behringer UMC1820, but the UMC404HD and UMC204HD are equally compatible with ALSA if you don't need as many inputs or outputs. Audio interfaces do not interact with WINE. If it is compatible with ALSA, which any "USB 2.0 Class Compliant" interface should be, then it will work on Linux. The UMC series does not have any software-controlled elements, so the functionality is the same on Linux as it is on Mac or Windows. Some class compliant devices have proprietary software to access some of the interface's features, and those programs won't run on Linux even with WINE enabled, so you will be missing some functionality even if the inputs and outputs are recognized.
DrMeatball
Established Member

Re: how to use an audio interface with wine and connect studio monitors

Post by DrMeatball »

Brand new to all this but figured i'd chim in. I'm using a Focusrite 18i20 (similar to the Behringer 1820 (have one of those as well as a backup input when needed, works fine)) with 8 additional ADAT preamps for all audio input. Works flawlessly.

I have 3 sets of monitors (Akai Pro 8", Polk dual 6.5" and some MixCubes). I use the Behringer Control2USB for all audio output and then use the hardware toggles to select which set of speakers I want to work with.

With Windows I had to route patch cables between all of my devices because I couldn't use multiple interfaces at the same time. Just works as expected under Linux!