Linux PC Builds for Audio Production. Recommended Hardware

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wardlok
Established Member

Linux PC Builds for Audio Production. Recommended Hardware

Post by wardlok »

Bought laptop cheap at pawn shop last year to install Ubuntu Studio on just to learn how the distro works. It's all good but considering moving on. Searching internet is dominated by gaming builds. Not interested in gaming. Closest I could find was a build a guy put together for vid production/Kdenlive for around $1000. Any specifics for audio production? Does it really matter?Doesn't have to be really expensive. Just fishin'.
bluzee
Established Member

Re: Linux PC Builds for Audio Production. Recommended Hardware

Post by bluzee »

My only real must have is fan less and silent. I can keep the machine in the same room as microphones and run it myself.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

If it's just for music then you could make something good for less than 1k if we're just talking about the computer itself. If you tell me your budget and needs I can put together a build for you on PC part picker as long as it lets me share a build without needing an account (I've never tried that so I don't know). I've been building computers for years so I'm pretty good with this sort of thing.
cupakm
Established Member

Post by cupakm »

I've never seen / heard a silent laptop of reasonable performance, so you may want to build you a desktop PC.

I'd suggest you look for CPUs where TDP <= 65 W, for example AMD Ryzen, eventually with ECO mode ON for the higher clocked X-series. (You can get a MoBo supporting ECC RAM modules as an extra, but they aren't a must.)

Cool it using Noctua NH-P1, no fans used. Ensure your case allows heat dissipation by natural convection - in other words has some venting on the top and bottom.

Have a look at fanless PSU like Seasonic Prime Fanless, but go for a tiny bit lesser efficiency, the PX-series, not TX as these are prone to high-pitched coil whine.

As for the storage pick passively cooled NVME or SSD.

You probably aren't going to need a dedicated GPU, so you can use the one integrated into CPU. If you do need one, go for lower-to-mid TDP AMD Radeons, they won't spin up the fans by desktop use.

If you won't need any fans or HDDs spinning, you shouldn't get any noises from the PC. Only when you stick your ears like 5 cm away from the PCBs you may hear pretty faint crackling, which is normal. Don't waste time trying to avoid it.

Use an audio interface of fan-less design too. Most of them are. Preamps, power conditioners, and whatnot the rest of your setup would be, just pick things without fans, which can cool themselves in a completely passive way.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I use a regular ol' Acer Aspire produced in 2019. It cost somewhere around $800 Canadian, which at today's rates is less than $600 American. It came with Windows but I had no problems adding Ubuntu Studio for a dual-boot.

i5 Intel processor, no external graphics card, 20 GB of RAM, SSD drive. I work on some pretty huge music files and use multiple USB instruments (i.e. keyboards) and guitars plugged into an interface with no computer-related issues. A smooth experience all around. You could easily get away with less RAM, but you might want at least 16 GB.

If you do plan to record with mics, the laptop will sometimes use the fan, which could be an issue. As I don't use mics, no issues here.

I'm not sure what your plans are, but I would suggest something with at least 2 USB ports - for example you might want to plug in a keyboard and an audio interface at the same time. Personally, I prefer to have at least 3 USB ports.

My suggestion is to pick out the laptop that looks best for your needs and budget, then, before buying it, do a bit of research to see if there are any issues installing Linux on it. There probably won't be any issues, but better to know beforehand.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Personally, I support manufacturers/vendors who support Linux officially by buying there.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I posted a thread about building my Linux Audio Workstation. It's two years on, and I'm still pleased with what I built. I have upgraded and added a few bits, there was a problem with a BIOS update and I found that I got xruns if I put my graphics card in the second slot. Other than that, my box is still working well.

Important points were:

• Stay one generation behind with CPUs
  • Use an AMD graphics card
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

merlyn wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:53 am
  • Use an AMD graphics card

I use Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. Less power consumption, no trouble at all.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

... and use class compliant hardware. Avoid like the plague hardware that needs "special" drivers (especially for Midi) and/or software to configure it. Even if it's linux software.

P.S. I have the biggest of problems trying to find an USB Bluetooth dongle that'll work w/ Linux. All those "Cambridge Audio" ones don't work (anymore). Do y'all use the on-board BT chip on your laptop/computer in Linux or don't you use BT at all?

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

bluebell wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:25 am

I use Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. Less power consumption, no trouble at all.

You might want to edit video, in which case a graphics card can help. If it's a choice between AMD and Nvidia, go for AMD.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46 am

... and use class compliant hardware. Avoid like the plague hardware that needs "special" drivers (especially for Midi) and/or software to configure it. Even if it's linux software.

P.S. I have the biggest of problems trying to find an USB Bluetooth dongle that'll work w/ Linux. All those "Cambridge Audio" ones don't work (anymore). Do y'all use the on-board BT chip on your laptop/computer in Linux or don't you use BT at all?

I avoid everything that could make audio processing unreliable by doing something in the background or with interrupts.

No wifi, no bluetooth

Code: Select all

# for performance / less IRQ handling
blacklist bluetooth
blacklist btrtl
blacklist btintel
blacklist btbcm
blacklist btusb

blacklist uvcvideo

blacklist iwlwifi

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I don't use Bluetooth for music-making, but today I used the laptop's on-board Bluetooth for the first time to transfer photos from Android to Ubuntu and it was soooooooooooooooooo slow.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Avoid like the plague hardware that needs "special" drivers (especially for Midi) and/or software to configure it. Even if it's linux software.

what's wrong with such devices and software for them?

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Kott wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:38 am

Avoid like the plague hardware that needs "special" drivers (especially for Midi) and/or software to configure it. Even if it's linux software.

There will come a day that in a new OS your closed source proprietary driver won't work anymore (agreed: in Windows those chances are slim). And Windows drivers won't work well in Linux. Same goes for software to configure hardware. If the software don't work anymore then you can throw away your precious hardware. Music hard- and software should be strictly separated if you ask me and many others.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:03 am
Kott wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:38 am

There will come a day that in a new OS your closed source proprietary driver won't work anymore (agreed: in Windows those chances are slim). And Windows drivers won't work well in Linux. Same goes for software to configure hardware. If the software don't work anymore then you can throw away your precious hardware. Music hard- and software should be strictly separated if you ask me and many others.

It's only a very small step to a "best before" timestamp in closed source software. It will stop working when it's not updated. If there's no update – not the manufacturer's problem. They already have your money.