Bluetooth headphones

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Established Member

Bluetooth headphones

Post by 1234 »

Hi,

I'm looking for an over ear bluetooth headphone. I like semi-open headphones with unobtrusive bass. In the studio I'm using the discontinued diffuse field-equalised AKG 240 DF since decades. It doesn't support bluetooth. IMO the best headphone on this planet. For sure not the best headphone for hifi enjoyment, but for long work in a studio. Most important to me is that the headphone doesn't cause much hearing and wearing fatigue when using it for hours and it never should cause malaise.

So far the best dissent-free reviews I read are about the

Pioneer SE-MS7BT-K Black

and the

Superlux HDB-671 Black

Both could be used as wired headphones, too.

They are closed headphones, while the isolation of the Superlux seems to be less radical and the design looks close to the AKG design, so at the moment it's my favourite.

They cost less than 100,- €. I'm willing to pay more than 100,-€, as long as the high price isn't just for esoteric reasons.

Regards,
Ralf
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Bluetooth headphones

Post by bluebell »

When I tested jackd with my notebook computers Bluetooth and a Bluetooth adapter on my HiFi rack I failed.

I could use this combination with ALSA and ALSA-clients but not with jackd. Maybe because of the lossy codec but that's just a guess.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

As far as I understand bluetooth is handled by pulse, there is no bluetooth driver for alsa (there was but it was removed). Therefore it is impossible to use a bluetooth audio device with Jack. I'd be happy to proved wrong, but I believe that is the current situation.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

varpa wrote:As far as I understand bluetooth is handled by pulse, there is no bluetooth driver for alsa (there was but it was removed). Therefore it is impossible to use a bluetooth audio device with Jack. I'd be happy to proved wrong, but I believe that is the current situation.
Hi Varpa,

Not really intending to prove you wrong but I use this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01G3J ... UTF8&psc=1

The USB Audio hardware runs with ALSA/JACK and the bluetooth works in the hardware of the device itself. I use this with JACK to send text mixes to my Bluetooth speakers from Ardour.

Note! Bluetooth is hardcoded to 48Khz sample rate, if you use 44.1khz like I do you need to use 'zita-ajbridge' to get your Audio resampled on the fly to 48Khz sample rate
Established Member

Post by 1234 »

My Linux DAW doesn't need bluetooth at all. Bluetooth is needed for equipment used in combination with the Linux DAW. It's already tested with a bluetooth headphone. It works without issues. The bluetooth headphone is not paired with the Linux DAW.

IOW I don't need help to get bluetooth running. I'm asking for experience reports and opinions on what bluetooth headphone could be used for studio work, while the audio quality doesn't need to be usable for evaluating a mix, it's important that it doesn't cause fatigue or illness.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

I would be carefull with bluetooth. Bluetooth is a very nice invention but for recording it could have slightly too much latency.
Established Member

Post by 1234 »

I have foreseen that I missed to mention that latency isn't a concern when I send the same request too https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 11363.html.
A lot of editing I'm doing requires neither studio headphone audio quality, nor is latency an issue. To do this editing in comfort where ever I want, with a tablet computer that has got no headphone output at all, I don't want to connect my USB audio interface and to use my wired headphone, so I've got a good reason to ask for experience reports and opinions on what bluetooth headphone could be used for this kind of work, to avoid fatigue and sickness.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I think your question in this forum won't reach many people who use Bluetooth headphones. Since you don't ask for high sound quality and Blueetooth gear often uses lossy codecs you'll get more answers in forums for headphones and mobile devices.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

varpa wrote:As far as I understand bluetooth is handled by pulse, there is no bluetooth driver for alsa (there was but it was removed). Therefore it is impossible to use a bluetooth audio device with Jack. I'd be happy to proved wrong, but I believe that is the current situation.
there is: https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa

I have problems with "alsa_outing" it in Jack though
Galeb_G4
Established Member

Post by Galeb_G4 »

If that helps, I've used the SE-MS7BT-K for a couple months now, even before I started using Linux (yes, I'm a newcomer) and it's been more than satisfying for all the time I had it; and I use it very often.