Analog Mixers with USB multi-i/o support in Linux?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Analog Mixers with USB multi-i/o support in Linux?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

In searching I see a large number of threads on supported USB Linux Audio interfaces, I have one of them (Presonus1818VSL) but am looking for something more specific...

I want an analog mixer with USB multi-i/o that is supported in Linux, I have an original 16ch. Mackie ONYX series with Firewire that used to work all day long at 128fpp with FFADO but it is dying, the monitoring section is dead and it outputs have become internally noisy, nobody wants to even look at it for repairs and I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive if they did. I like good solid hardware, don't care about digital onboard effects and DSP and want to able to monitor with ZERO latency, this board will be built-in and staying in the studio so I don't care about remote operation and running with iPads and Tablets etc. After capture all mixing and automation will be done in Ardour or Mixbus so I don't want or need a control surface.

Essentially I want to replace my 16channel ONYX with a comparable quality 16ch USB Analog Mixer that is well supported in Linux. I see some posts on the internet about Presonus Firestudio but they seem to pertain to older FireWire models not the newer USB ones. The Behringer x32 is too expensive and I don't want or need all the DSP stuff and I don't think it will do direct hardware monitoring. I have 16channels in my patchbay so I specifically want 16 channels or more.

Suggestions? Success stories? Advice appreciated!
Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: Analog Mixers with USB multi-i/o support in Linux?

Post by Jack Winter »

FWIW, the x32 does hardware monitoring through it's internal fx. you get 32 pres tap-ed after the pregain.

It's a nice soundcard / live mixer and possibly control surface. Yes costs a bit, but pres are clean and it's a lot of bang for the buck. Main drawbacks I can think of, are it is USB and you have only the pre gain, no way to change input levels say from -10, +4, high gain.

We've used it to record our cd with some character pres in front and are very happy.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I ended up buying the Presonus StudioLive AR16: https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-AR16-USB

It fires up in Qjackctl with 18 inputs and 4 outputs available. I'm using AV Linux with the 4.9.76 kernel so it doesn't appear to require a new cutting edge kernel, I went with the AR16 because it came with rack mounts and I wanted to put it in my existing rack and 12 XLR inputs are sufficient. Haven't had time for much recording yet but the most exciting news was that the multi-usb i/o is working!

Thanks again for the reply and suggestion, the x32 is gorgeous but too far beyond my needs.. :)
Audioguppy

Post by Audioguppy »

We were running firmware 3.07 for the X32 and was able to get output on two channels but no input yet.

I was doing a search and found this thread. What's the status of multi-channel USB device support these days ? What's missing in the drive layer to make that all happen ? Vendor specific changes or something else ?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

We have our x32 setup for recording 32 tracks which works well. I'm not sure about the firmware, but last updated a year or two ago. I also don't remember if there was some setup included, but there is a menu to configure I/O on the mixer.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Audioguppy

Post by Audioguppy »

Jack Winter wrote:We have our x32 setup for recording 32 tracks which works well. I'm not sure about the firmware, but last updated a year or two ago. I also don't remember if there was some setup included, but there is a menu to configure I/O on the mixer.
Hi Jack,

Did this work pretty much out of the box after configuration because it’s USB class compliant ? Do you know what specific menu to configure IO ? I’m not an expert on the mixer but the Linux dude on the other end of it
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I can't remember if it worked out of the box, but yes it's class 2.0 compliant.

Looking at the manual https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM ... 2_M_EN.pdf chapter 6 it says to go to the setup screen - Card tab to configure it.
flightvision

Post by flightvision »

The Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK is a contender here, too. It has a 14/12 audiointerface and allows to switch the source USB/analog for each channel strip. It works out of the box with ALSA/Jack.

I did a review on another forum that I am shamelessly just pasting here:
So here is my little review for the Soundcraft Signature12MTK with the question audio interface vs. mixer in mind.

This mainly materialized inside the novation Circuit. A minilogue and a Kaoss Pad mini joined for the live recording. Calf compressor and Ardour did the final polish.

and talked to the Thomann support since the last time.

It is a great mixer. 3 pre/post aux (mono), 1 subgroup (or 2 mono). Nice faders. Wobbly knobs. Great gain range. Pre-Amps a bit on the “warm” side. “British” EQ is to my taste. Effects are usable (2 parameters adjustable). Sounds good. So that’s a bargain.
Here's some sounds that were EQed and summed with it: https://soundcloud.com/cazaire/unable-to-think-take-2 https://soundcloud.com/cazaire/quak-duck-it

The USB interface is pre-fader/post-amp and allows to make an insert via your DAW for all channels. That’s neat.
The record levels do not match, though. I need to push output levels of all mono channels by 7.5dB and stereo by 12dB in the DAW to achieve a seemless integration. I do not understand what the engineers thought there?!
Latency is 2.7ms on my system.
When working with the DAW you need 1 stereo output for the DAW master and that cannot be put directly onto the 12MTK master fader (another inexplicable engineering decission) - so that blocks 1 stereo channel.

This device allows you to jam making use of sends and groups without computer and to record or plugin insert it takes minimal effort to do so.
It just has some inexplicable caveats. I am not sure…
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,
Just to follow up, having done a couple of sessions now the StudioLive AR16 works great with Ardour/Mixbus, the channel preamp trim gains are a bit puzzling in that they overload in Ardour significantly before the led turns red on the mixer itself but that is just a matter of setting the levels carefully from the DAW meters. No latency hardware monitoring is absolute heaven and the Presonus 'Superchannel' monitoring with Bluetooth capability is a really handy feature, especially if you want to show the band a song to learn or just play music without physically connecting your phone. I used to have a separate PA in the rehearsal room and recording interface in the control room and now I can do everything through my patchbay with the StudioLive and setting up a Live recording literally just takes a few minutes. The pre's are very quiet and I get a few rare Xruns even at 256fpp (not that latency is that important with hardware monitoring).

Anyway, I would highly recommend the AR16..