Can U id this guitar?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Can U id this guitar?

Post by fretski »

This was my first guitar, might have been a hofner, I gave it to my brother seen in picture, don't remember what he did with it
1960-circa-nickguitar-crop.jpg
1960-circa-nickguitar-crop.jpg (79.85 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
ufug
Established Member

Re: Can U id this guitar?

Post by ufug »

Cool guitar. Looks like a Hofner or a Framus with that control plate.
listenable at c6a7.org
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

ufug wrote:Cool guitar. Looks like a Hofner or a Framus with that control plate.
It was one of the first electrics and I bought it '59. I vaguely remember a pair of really weird & narrow pu's on it. I wonder what it would be worth today? My brother passed away not long ago, I should have asked him who he gave it to, he said it had been getting better and better tone with the wood aging/drying over the years.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote:Cool guitar. Looks like a Hofner or a Framus with that control plate.
I agree, the control knobs look very Hofner, like the early Paul McCartney Beatle basses.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I went to do a search online and I feel like it looks an awful lot like the 1956/57 Hofner Club 50.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

CrocoDuck wrote:I went to do a search online and I feel like it looks an awful lot like the 1956/57 Hofner Club 50.
Except for the f-holes it sure looks like it. Now that I can see the pu's against a light background I remember them, I think you could pull those black plastic covers off. I didn't have an amp for it (too much money) but it sounded pretty good without one.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

42low wrote:What a nice guitar.
To bad you don't have it anymore.

Reminds me at my first. A good quality late 70's Les Paul.
Then the time came playing electic didn't interest me anymore (and girls interested me more) and i exchanged it for an accoustic.
Now i wished i still had that one. :| Yet again, the accoustic gave me lot's of fun too. That one fell totaly apart not that long ago (old cracked glue). :roll:

Looked like this one.

F*ck. I'm starting to talk about "the old day's". I'm getting old. :evil:
Tell me about it! :lol:

My old Hofner may have resembled a LP but it was really much bigger & thicker. Anyway, gone is gone, I now have my second Epiphone LP with which I lucked-in so hard that I wouldn't sell it for 4000. My dealer says I could trade it for a Gibson of that price and maybe regret it! Before I never really believed there could be so much difference between guitar and guitar but I'm now sold, I will never EVER buy another guitar without playing it first. This bugger 'rings' like you can't believe. I love it! And it's not just the pu's, those make a difference only when plugged in, I mean bare metal on wood, it's a solid-body but it still it rings. I can only wonder what these sound like:

http://old.ruokangas.com/?p=16393
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Looks a lot like a Hofner Model 457, probably worth about $1000 in a good condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIvKc-ZFGg
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

AutoStatic wrote:Looks a lot like a Hofner Model 457, probably worth about $1000 in a good condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIvKc-ZFGg
Thanks, now that he's gone somehow I feel better knowing hat I had given my brother something worth having.