Looking for new headphones

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Looking for new headphones

Post by Luc »

My current pair of headphones is beginning to fall apart. It's clear it won't last long, so I am in the market for a new pair.

I did my research and sort of maybe I might who knows perhaps go with the Akg K511. It's allegedly very clean/unbiased and very good for mixing and mastering.

Then I saw the videos posted by our fellow forum member Phil and spotted a Sennheiser HD202 in his studio. Well, he is a producer, so they must be very good also, right? Right?

Well, maybe not. The darndest thing about headphones is that we can't test them. Even if I walk up to a store, those come in sealed packaging and almost no shopkeeper will let me open it and test. I guess it's a matter of sanitation, like underwear. So it's always a gamble.

Can you recommend anything? Note that the Akg K511 and the Sennheiser HD202 cost just about the same where I live, and that is the maximum I can afford.

Thanks in advance.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Looking for new headphones

Post by sadko4u »

I'm using KRK KNS8400. Look at them too, maybe they will fit your requirements.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I found some Behringer HPS3000 headphones on ebay new for $30 usd. They're not too bad.

-Matt :D

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I got Sony's MDR-7506 a few months back, because it seems those are often seen in studio photos. They seem to be the working man's tool. And that might mean that they are also sturdy. They also come with a list of part numbers for every single little piece that makes them, which supposes that if broken those can be ordered. Somehow. I cannot compare the performance though, but I like them.

Cheers.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I always considered the AKG K240 to be the industry standard headphone for studio work.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I have a AKG 702 and I am very happy with it.

- Good, natural sound
- deep bass and high frequencies ok
- No problems when wearing it for a long time (not sweaty, doesn't hurt)

One little disadvantage: it's an open model, so other people (and microphones) get the sound if you listen loud. It doesn't block sound from outside very good.

I think it's perfect for mixing/mastering but maybe not perfect for recording.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

using Beyerdynamics DT 770 (250 ohm version) with NI Komplete Audio 6.
the best workhorse i ever had.
• very detailed sound
• not distressing (semi-open design rocks)
• really durable. they survived all my openair adventures, weather conditions, etc.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Sorry I am getting very late here. I bought these a year ago. I just wanted something cheap and reasonably flat in frequency response and I trusted the plots in the manual. I was surprised by how good they are: I think audio frequency response is well balanced and does not seem to me there is much distortion. I recently measured their response on a IEC 60 711 coupler at work (I work with headphones). I did it out of curiosity just to be able to understand how the frequency response of a headphone I like looks like, as a reference for me. I was surprised that the response is very very similar to a sample headphone we have that costs 10X the money, the sensitivity being just lower. I am sorry I am omitting the details, by I don't want to disclose company confidential data. I will provide myself with some testing gear at some point and I will measure my private owned headphones. That way I will have no problems publishing the whole story. For now, just keep in mind the SR950 as a very good cheap headphone model. They are also comfortable despite the circular and kinda rigid cushions and my big ears. Also, so that you know, I have started working designing headphones only few months ago, in a junior position. Still, a thing seems clear to me: higher price does not necessarily make a better headphone.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Hi. OP here. I guess it's time for me to chime in and thank everyone who has contributed with reports and suggestions. I've been quiet, but taking note of every suggestion.

My current headphones haven't actually fallen apart yet so I'm taking my sweet sweet time. I wish I could go some place where I could test them and find The Chosen One, but that is very hard to find in my neck of the woods. Meanwhile, every contribution is still welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I too was looking for a new pair. Currently using a El Cheapo gaming headset and it sounds awful ;-)

Today my wife was ordering some Lego sets on Amazone and took the opportunity to toss a Samson SR850 in the shopping basket. To my surprise my wife agreed.
The 950 wasn't available and did some quick research and found the 850 should be ok for my needs. They are open but since I just gonna use it for monitoring and mixing without any mics it should be good enough. They are very affordable, only €38 ... :mrgreen:

The Lego sets are awesome too :-)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

rghvdberg wrote: The Lego sets are awesome too :-)
I bet she was looking over your shoulder when you wrote that :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}