Linux and Yamaha Compatibility

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hokiehi
Established Member

Linux and Yamaha Compatibility

Post by hokiehi »

Hi all. I'm not a TOTAL noob, but a noob nonetheless. Liberated myself from microsoft shackles with Ubuntu 14.04 about six months ago. Your insights are most welcome and appreciated.

I've successfully hooked up headphones, mic and acoustic/electric guitar through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 external USB soundcard and have been recording and editing with moderate success in Audacity for the last few months.

Looking to add a Yamaha Motif keyboard and Yamaha DTX-MULTI 12 Digital Percussion Pad. I asked a rep at Guitar Center if either would be a problem in hooking into the Focusrite. He indicated they wouldn't be compatible but he didn't seem too confident in his answer, so I thought I'd consult the community.

Would I need adapters? Would I just connect directly into laptop and move headphones from Focusrite to my speaker output on laptop?

I have a hard time believing Yamaha wouldn't be compatible but I don't want to invest in it if it won't work.

Thoughts?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Linux and Yamaha Compatibility

Post by glowrak guy »

Yamahas with 5 pin midi ports should be fine. I've heard usb midi can be an issue with some yamahas,
I assume all Motifs would have 5 pin midi, and newer ones might have both usb and 5pin.
Just in case,

motif midi out connects to scarlett midi in
motif midi in connects to scarlett midi out

Get a Motif manual, to see where you switch it's midi from 'omni' off, to on,
how to transmit midi from it's arps, to soft-synths, and other potential uses.

If it's Motif sounds you want, and piano key action is less important,
Motif line-out can be recorded to linux audio tracks
through your scarlett, In that case, you could get a used Motif rack module, and a new Nectar midi controller
bundled with Bitwig daw, linux version included. Might be cost effective, with a magnitude more features,
stock up on coffee and popcorn!

Arturia also have a similar bitwig bundle, but a flaw in their chosen keybed design,
meant some keyboards had to be exchanged, so get the returns policy in writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qqWMUFue4

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PanoramaP6

http://www.interstatemusic.com/960759-A ... 431BW.aspx

Cheers
Last edited by glowrak guy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hokiehi
Established Member

Post by hokiehi »

Much obliged, friend. Thanks.
hokiehi
Established Member

Post by hokiehi »

Hmm, wow. Just getting to these videos now. Nektar 61 looks pretty sweet for a grand less than Yamaha motif 61. Quick google search reveals they're going for approximately $499 now so perhaps Nektar has gotten popular since 2014. Am I just paying extra for the Yamaha name or is Yamaha quality simply that much more legit? Same input/output set up, I presume on Nektar?

Really drawn to the Yamaha drum pad. Looking for a bit of authenticity in percussion. I'll never have more than one instrument plugged into my Scarlett. I'm showing this thread to the folks at music store. They're all Apple acolytes though. They look at me like I've gone mad. "Ubunwha?"

Alas, great insights. Thank you.
hokiehi
Established Member

Post by hokiehi »

Though, if I'm looking to control from keyboard instead of mouse on Nektar, looks like I might need to upgrade from Audacity. Was just starting to get the hang of it too so not sure I'm ready for that. Will have to stick with the maddening mouse commands. Is Audacity considered sub-standard? Bitwig looks pretty intimidating for a noob.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Is Audacity considered sub-standard?
Audacity is a nice audio editor, but for multitrack recording and quick non-destructive editing I suggest ardour.

On the other hand, although standard ubuntu might work, it is not a good choice for a home studio. There are music oriented distros, ubuntustudio for example. This article explains the reasons why you should choose one of them

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... stribution