Yamaha YPG-235 76-Key Portable Grand Piano

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aicram
Established Member

Yamaha YPG-235 76-Key Portable Grand Piano

Post by aicram »

Hello All,

I am interested in purchasing the Yamaha YPG-235 portable Grand Piano. Is this something I can hook from the usb port to
my computer's usb port and play through zynaddsubfx, lmms, amsynth, etc.? This one has the midi/io coming directly from the usb port.

Does anyone know anything about this piano? The reviews are good and price low.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

Sincerely,

aicram
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Yamaha YPG-235 76-Key Portable Grand Piano

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Yes it will work. But why that model? If you want a midi controller for software synths, there are better choices.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thank you for your answer. I chose that one because it does not have to be connected to the computer to work. The sound from its own
speakers is good and the sound of the piano according to reviews is great. For all that the price seemed very good. I do like to hook up
to lmms and zynaddsubfx with keyboards. It seemed to have all that I am looking for and it is under $300.00 This is a xmas gift
from my husband and I already told him what it would cost. Want to keep in the same price range.

Having said all that, however, I am definitely open to other choices. If you know of any other good ones, would love to
hear about them. I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

aicram
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Ok, so you want it to have its own internal sounds and speaker system. Had you not wanted that, I would have suggested something more akin to controlling software synths.

One thing to consider is that the YPG235 is a spring loaded action -- not a hammer action. in other words, the keys have the feel of an organ, not a real piano. If your husband prefers a piano action, your cheapest option would probably be one of the Casio Privia models, or the Casio CDP-130.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... ital-piano

Piano actions cost more than spring actions, so these options generally start at about $400, although I've heard good things about the $300 williams allegro:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Williams/Al ... 8421352.gc

You can find lots of used Privias on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... -130&rt=nc

I have a PX-130. Feels just like a real piano. Works with Linux.

ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:or the Casio CDP-130.
I have the older model, the CDP-110. Its great bang for the buck. I wanted a Privia because the built in samples are much better, but this was something like half the price. The key beds feel the same to me. I've been very happy with mine. I snagged it on black friday at guitar center for under $300.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thank you both so very much for the great information. I have been researching since your suggestions. The Williams legato or allegro looked very good for the price, however,
still missing some key elements I wish for.

Actually this is a gift from my husband to me. He is not a musician so I am the one picking it out. I found an excellent description for both spring loaded and hammer action keys.
Of course, I believe, the hammer action is best, however, to get everything I want it would put it into a much higher price range.

I am not a professional just a hobbyist, and not a good piano player. I can accept the spring loaded action, with good sound plus midi, transpose, pitch change, many decent instrument sounds, standard sized piano keys, and 76 key to save some space. If I am to keep it near $300 or less it still comes back to the YPG-235. If any of you know something that makes it a bad choice, please let me know. If you all know something better under $300.00 with all that I am looking for, would love to hear about it.

Thanks again for the in depth info.

Sincerely,

aicram
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Hello everyone,

Just found this : Nektar Impact LX88 88-key MIDI Controller Keyboard at the sweetwater site for $299.00. I realize this is not stand alone
however, maybe I can deal with that. I like the full keyboard and the reviews are great. Would this be a better
purchase over the Yamaha YPG-235?

Thank you.

aicram
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Wait a minute. I thought you wanted it to have its own internal sounds and speaker system. The LX88 has neither.

aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

You are correct. I did want those things. I almost wavered away from that plan. I liked the 88 keys,
reviews, and price of the Nektar. After rethinking this I know I am still preferring
internal speakers and sound.

Looked at some of those casio's mentioned as well. The difficulty is staying in a certain
price range. Maybe I will have another talk with my husband about prices. :wink:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

aicram wrote: The difficulty is staying in a certain price range. Maybe I will have another talk with my husband about prices. :wink:
Just playing devil's advocate here...

Obviously price is important, but value for your money and long-term satisfaction with whatever you (or your hubby) purchase is equally valid... In my own experience any time I've bought musical gear based on some sort of canonical price threshold I've invariably been disappointed or ended up selling said gadget on eBay or whatever and then buying what I actually knew was the proper piece of gear for my needs..

Perhaps even a 'next-level' keyboard that may fulfill both your live needs and ability to interface with recording software will be on sale somewhere, or available used, eBay is full of those tortured souls chasing the next best thing and desperately selling perfectly good gear that may only be a year or two old.

Just sayin' :)

I'll gently remind your husband to remember "happy wife=happy life" :wink:
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Great thoughts GMaq. I have had the same experience before of trying to save a few dollars and wish I had spent more to get what I really want.
I'll gently remind your husband to remember "happy wife=happy life" :wink:
Ha! Ha! Ha! My husband has said this now and then. Very true imho.

Back to the drawing board.

Thank you.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Hold on. I suggested the Casio Privia or CDP only because it's the cheapest, good piano-action keybed. I know that many pianists get totally thrown off by an organ (spring-loaded) action. If you were such a pianist, you wouldn't like the YPG. But you said you're fine with an organ keybed, so the keybed is irrelevant. The YPG isn't among the best spring-loaded actions I've played, but it's decent. (An example of an atrocious spring-loaded action are the M-Audio controllers).

Now those Casios do have internal sounds, but a much smaller selection than the ypg. Acoustic and electric pianos, 2 basses, strings, organ, vibes, and that's about it. Furthermore, I like the Yamaha waves better than Casio's. Among the 30+ keyboards I own, I have a Casio Privia, and a Yamaha Piaggero (which is a close cousin of the ypg line). I'd give the ypg the advantage on sound. Plus, the ypg has drumbeats, and auto-accompaniment, unlike the Privia/CDP (or Williams Allegro).

Aside from the piano action, the only other advantage of the privia/cdp is build quality. Those casios are surprisingly solid units. I gigged with my privia for a year without problems. By contrast, the ypg is a big lump of cheap-feeling plastic. If you're going to be carrying it around, and you drop it on a hard floor, it's more likely to break.

Given the features you want, and your price point, I suspect that you'd ultimately prefer the ypg. Sure there are lots of keyboards you'd like even better, but not at that price point.

Bottom line: I suspect you'd be happy with the ypg. If you want to hit your husband up for a few more bucks, come back with your new budget, and maybe I'll recommend something that will make you even happier. Otherwise, the ypg is it (unless something better hits the market between now and christmas, under $300).

aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions and insights.

I have placed my order for the YPG-235 and I am happy about it. Sound is important to me. What I heard from youtube
with this model sounded very good to me. I realize it is very plastic, however, I will not be moving it around.
I was happy for years with my little radioshack mini keyboard that I played through zynaddsubfx. This will be a big
upgrade for me.

In a few years I may wish to upgrade again. I have many grandchildren who will love to play
my keyboards while they visit, so this is worth it for their visits as well. If I were a serious professional
I would possibly get this: Roland rd800. My brother just purchased this model and loves it. He is an excellent
player and composer, who plays all of the time. I am not in his league, yet.

Thanks to all of you I learned about many other choices.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

With 235, you can layer any 2 of the 500+ sounds, separate volume for each,
a delightfull task choosing new favorites, like a dreamy E-piano, with a sultry vibraphone...
accoustic guitar, with a sweeping synth sound, or grand piano with a choir pad

Connect the 235 headphone out to a soundcard input, while usb midi plays zynaddsubfx, set a 235 drum pattern playing,
adjust it's tempo and volume, see what effects like chorus delay reverb are on the 235 model. Record it all
with audacity or timemachine. Edit and export to mp3, email attachment to grandkids etc
Loads of fun and possibilities!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

aicram wrote:Roland rd800.
Fantastic unit. Really nice action. And I favor roland's waves over most other hardware manufacturers. I have an older RD (along with 12 other roland models, 3 yamahas, 4 sequential circuits, 3 casios, 2 fatars, 2 alesis, 1 m-audio, 1 hammond, 1 peavey, and whatever else is in storage. No korgs. Never cared for their sound.)

But I would have waited for Black Friday, just in case there's a sale.