Anyone got the delta 1010 to run at 96khz without dropouts?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glynnk
Established Member

Anyone got the delta 1010 to run at 96khz without dropouts?

Post by glynnk »

Hi,

I need to record and mix down some tracks. I've made the switch to Linux many years ago but have not been involved in any recording projects in that time - until now. So I'm in the market for a rudimentary soundcard that will record mics (brass), guitars and synths, with 8 input channels (a friend's band). Hardware monitoring would be nice but not necessary. I'm not going to splash out on pres, so builtins will do just fine.

I've done a lot of research (websites, forums etc.) over the last couple of weeks about kernels, alsa, jack and compatible soundcards. Kernels ,alsa and jack are not a problem for me. However, I am teetering on the edge of buying the delta 1010. It's cheap, cheerful, will suit my basic needs and my friend's expectations, but I cannot seem to find a definite answer on whether the envy/mudita drivers will reliably support a 96Khz sampling rate on all inputs simultaneously.

Thus, my question is: Has anyone used the delta 1010 to reliably record eight channels simultaneously with the following jack arguments?
-r96000 -p64 -n2

My Box spec:
Asus p8z77
i5 3570K
Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB SATA 3
3.5.0-25-lowlatency PREEMPT
jackdmp 1.9.9
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.25.
glynnk
Established Member

Re: Anyone got the delta 1010 to run at 96khz without dropou

Post by glynnk »

That's what I thought.

Thanks!
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I haven't tried, but since I have a 1010 in my computer I could give it a go. I always run mine at 48kHz. These are the parameters I use:
/usr/bin/jackd -P70 -dalsa -r48000 -p128 -n2 -D -Cmulti_capture -Pmulti_playback
which gives me a latency of about 2.7ms. The multi_playback definition is for chaining two M-Audio cards. I use a larger frames/period setting than you. Have you tried increasing it?
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Oh BTW, with this setup I have done multitracking with 10 tracks, though at 48kHz.
Now, to test whether it works without gaps or holes in the recording, I need to be able to input 8 signals simultaneously. That is the biggest problem I have in testing it right now.

I have tested with:

/usr/bin/jackd -P70 -dalsa -r96000 -p128 -n2 -D -Cmulti_capture -Pmulti_playback

With this setting I get many xruns. Then I tested:

/usr/bin/jackd -P70 -dalsa -r96000 -p256 -n2 -D -Cmulti_capture -Pmulti_playback

and this left me with no xruns. Latency is still at 2.7ms.

Since I only record silence, I cannot verify that there are no lapses in the recording, but I really don't think there is, as I would expect this to go hand in hand with xruns.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
glynnk
Established Member

Post by glynnk »

Thanks very much Frank.

That's enough evidence for me on that issue.