Please share your gnu/linux music production setup

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Nachei
Establlshed Member

Re: Please share your gnu/linux music production setup

Postby Nachei » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Usage: home studio
Hardware used: Compaq Presario CQ50, Lexicon Alpha, Peavy Predator, 2 SM58s
Software used: Puppy Linux (Pup Studio and TahrPup), Ardour, Audacity, LMMS, Hydrogen,Zynaddsubfx, Rakarrack, Guitarix
Issues with the system (problems, complaints): currently investigating occassional Jack 2 unstability with the Lexicon (sometimes works like a charm, sometimes freezes...).
Overall rating: never used anything other than Linux, and never had to. I love the degree to which you can customize your system to your likes with Linux.

Aksjodgoi
Establlshed Member

Postby Aksjodgoi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Usage: Home studio

Hardware used:
Asus K55V laptop with Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.30GHz, 8GB of RAM;
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4,
Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 string bass.

Software:
Ubuntu 16.04.1(currently but I like to change it sometimes) with kxstudio repos
Cadence
Catia
Ardour
Drumgizmo
Guitarix
Soundconverter
LV2, LADSPA plugins (such as Calf plugins, eq10q, zam-plugins, etc.)

Issues:
Xruns appears even when buffer size is 256. :/
It never happened when I used LinuxMint17.3 and LinuxMint18 with same setup. Don't know if it is because of DE or newer kernel... Maybe because of insufficient system config (which is fixed now and will test soon).

Overall: hm... All the programs in Unity DE fits in screen perfectly (especially ardour) but responsive time grinds my gears. So this DE gonna be replaced by cinnamon (LM18) or gnome (maybe arch again or ubuntu gnome).

chaocrator
Establlshed Member

Postby chaocrator » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:08 pm

updated my post

software:
added Machina, a finite state automata sequencer for some parts
shortened softsynths list to the following items actually used:
ZynAddSubFX
TAL Noize M4k3r
Helm
Dexed
Phasex
reverted plugin host to Carla since it's the best and most stable option available at the moment.
changed drum machine to hydrogen, since it supports pedal hi-hat controllers now

hardware:
upgraded my drumkit with Yamana TP120SD snare and RHH130 hi-hat pad/controller.
after this, it became 6-piece (was 5-piece before).
also, upgraded my double pedal from budget-range Tama Iron Cobra HP200 to top-of-midrange Pearl Eliminator.
drumset 800x766.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gennargiu
Establlshed Member

Postby gennargiu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:06 pm

my name is Gennaro from Naples Italy

Home Studio recorder and hobby

Hardware Computer : Laptop Asus X54c ( 6 Giga Ram,i3 quad core 2,40 processor,hd 320 gb)
Hardware Setup: Lexicon Alpha usb Audio card, mixer beringher xenix 1002, monitor nearfilef esi near 05 ex, maudio 2x2 midi interface, midiface 2x2 midi interface,headphone pioner

Hardware synths and effect : Microkorg Mk1,Alesis Micron,Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Roland D50,Korg M1, Zoom Ms 70 cdr multistomp pedal effects (reverb,chorus,delays)

Software and programs : Debian Stretch,Ardour 5.5,Audacity for live recording and editing audio - various other programs (rosegarden,lmms,muse,virtual synths gnu/linux)

Desktop Home Studio : Imac 24 (2007) core duo duo 2,4 ghz - ram 3 giga - only Debian Stretch 9 for 1 terabyte hard disk (no mac osx installed)
Hardware Setup: Lexicon Alpha usb Audio card, mixer beringher xenix 1002, monitor nearfilef esi near 05 ex, maudio 2x2 midi interface, midiface 2x2 midi interface,headphone pioner
Hardware synths and effect : Microkorg Mk1,Alesis Micron,Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Roland D50,Korg M1, Zoom Ms 70 cdr multistomp pedal effects (reverb,chorus,delays)
Software and programs : Debian Stretch,Ardour 5.5,Audacity for live recording and editing audio - various other programs (rosegarden,lmms,muse,virtual synths gnu/linux)

This systems hardware/software is perfect for my recording multitracks audio and editing audio
Last edited by gennargiu on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaocrator
Establlshed Member

Postby chaocrator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:03 am

at last, bought 2nd laptop, and Echo Indigo DJx for it (since it has ExpressCard slot).

fiddling with netjack now (both laptops are synced to external controller), chosing the mixer, and thinking what to do with rhythm section.
the idea is continuing to perform without pauses in case of one laptop crash (should not happen, but who knows…)

newer laptop currently runs frankenstein-style Devuan witn E21 DE from IO linux, AV kernel, KXStudio stuff, and some extra software drom debiam-multimedia repo.

also, planned to add PreenFM2 to my setup (mainly for percussive sounds), and probably some small-sized subtractive hardware synth.

Return to “Your Studio & Gear”