I have been using UMC1820 for a year now and it is absolutely spectacular.
However, the ADA8200 is troublesome.
Upon receiving the ADA18200, I ran into immediate problems.
Only channels 7&8 of the ADA8200 passes sound to Ardour/Mixbus
My setup is as follows
- 1) I connected the ADA8200 Optical out to the UMC1820 optical in
2) I set optical on front panel of UMC1820 to ADAT.
3) On the back of the ADA9200 I set the clock to have the ADA9200 as master.
This should be the safest as the master clock runs then from ADA9200 and is sync'd to by UMC1820.
4) the indicators on the front of the ADA8200 shows it syncs and is master.
5) In mixbus I connect the ADA8200 to channels 11-18 and activate them.
Only channels 7&8 of the ADA8200 passes sound to Mixbus although the channels 1-6 are all connected same way in mixbus as 7-8.
- 6) Using Patchage I can see that there are 18 capture inputs made available by alsa and they are all connected to Mixbus.
7) Curiously though in alsamixer, selecting F6 and UMC1820 as sound card, and viewing the inputs, I only see 10 inputs!
"8") Maybe Alsa blocks the remaining inputs as there are no volume controls except for 10 (8 analog + 2 spdif)
9) The clock in alsa was set to ADAT.
I seem to end at a dead door with only 10 usable inputs 8 from the UMC1820 and 2 from the ADA8200 (the last two 7&8 works)
The exact hardware setup above with the ADA8200/UMC1820 works in windows 8.1 and all channels are read and passes sound. So the Hardware setup is NOT at fault and I did that right.