solid state guitar amp recommendations?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Javes

solid state guitar amp recommendations?

Postby Javes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 am

I'm not looking for that tube sound, I'm looking for that ultra sparkling clean, loud, solid state sound. can anyone recommend an amp to me, either old or new https://waveadvice.com/tube-amp-heads-buyers-guide/ ?

thanks
Last edited by Javes on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

VoidNote

Re: solid state guitar amp recommendations?

Postby VoidNote » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Roland JC120 perhaps.

milo
Established Member

Postby milo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 am

I've always loved my Crate amps.

Probably you should just spend some time at a guitar store playing on different amps and see what your ear likes. This is a job for experiential learning, I think.

merlyn
Established Member

Postby merlyn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 am

Javes wrote:can anyone recommend an amp to me, either old or new https://waveadvice.com/tube-amp-heads-buyers-guide/ ?

If you're looking for a solid state amp, why did you post a link to valve amps? By 'solid state' do you mean 'clean'? Solid state means transistors, which are not in fashion for making a guitar louder at this particular juncture. :)

Musicteacher
Established Member

Postby Musicteacher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 am

milo wrote:I've always loved my Crate amps.

Probably you should just spend some time at a guitar store playing on different amps and see what your ear likes. This is a job for experiential learning, I think.

Hey, I had (and still have) a Crate amp, too!

Though I don't use it anymore, my ears don't stand a loud sound these days, and for softer playing amp simulations sound better (IMHO).

In the 90ties, affordable amps that were loud enough for rehearsals and small venues, often had a tube preamp and solid state main amp.

milo
Established Member

Postby milo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 am

Musicteacher wrote:Though I don't use it anymore, my ears don't stand a loud sound these days, and for softer playing amp simulations sound better (IMHO).

Yeah, I bought my Crate in the 90's when I was in high school, and used it in several garage bands for both practices and gigs. It cost about $300 brand new. It is entirely solid state, and had a nice chorus efect that unfortunately no longer works.

About a decade ago I used it on a few digital recordings, putting a microphone to it, but I found that there was less noise on the recording and reasonable tone fron using a software amplifier. And the software has only gotten better since then.

Now I only use the amp when I'm having a jam session with the kids. (Having teenage kids that play music with you is a lot of fun!)

Return to “Your Studio & Gear”