MOD Devices sponsors Linuxmusicians.com

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Re: MOD Devices sponsors Linuxmusicians.com

Post by raboof »

khz wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:51 am What about the MOD Devices? Will the subforum still remain if the facts of the case are not clarified or do we proceed as with the logo?
I think we can treat it just like any other subforum: I'm fine with keeping it there for now, but if the volume remains low we should roll it into its parent forum eventually.

I'm very touched by all the offers for donations. However, I think it should be a no-brainer for a music/linux-related company to sponsor a forum like this, so I'd prefer you send your donations to a project with less 'mainstream appeal'. Until we find a new sponsor I'm happy to foot the bill myself. If I still haven't convinced you not to donate, my github sponsor page is at https://github.com/sponsors/raboof ;).
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

This has probably been considered from day one, but why wouldn't a company like Canonical (from Ubuntu) sponsor this forum? I'm trying to come up w/ companies that earn (part of) their money w/ Linux or Linux-music software, but I can't come up with one. That may be the only downside of open source and free software...

Anyway, I hope the forum will remain!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:16 am Anyway, I hope the forum will remain!
Don't worry, it certainly will!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

I've read only the last few posts in this thread, but should this site's presence ever be in jeopardy I would surely donate $$ for its continued existence. Gladly, at any time.

Best,

dp
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I haven't been active here for some time unfortunately, but I do think it makes sense to keep it a community funded forum. Some company is welcome to volunteer to contribute but considering that this is mostly talking about user-centered software (rather than back-ends that corporations may build on and profit from) I don't think many will have much motive to do so. MOD was probably the closest. Crowdfunding the site certainly is more complicated than finding a single donor, but IMHO better fits with the intent of the forums. Just my $.02.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!