Glad to be here

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

soundscape
Established Member

Glad to be here

Post by soundscape »

Hello, all.

With remote collaboration still going on, it seems almost necessary to have an AV studio of sorts in the home office.

"AV Linux" is what brings me here. It seems a lot easier to use a solid platform as a starting point, for basic AV production.

I find myself here because:
  • my Mac hardware is older and not beefy enough to do the AV things I want to do (and also more than a bit dismayed at "modern/current" Mac hardware and software...),
  • my current "AV" workstation hardware should be (is) performant "enough" in GNU/Linux, only the "kernel and audio driver" situation in Ubuntu seems more than a bit unstable and not-straightforward,
  • I would only consider Win as a very last resort, and, since AV Linux exists, that seems not needed yet, as a saving grace.
So, a non-mainstream OS actually seems great. Especially one so thoughtfully put together. I almost can't believe it exists!

A few things I loved right away about AVL-MX21:
  • The visual styling choices are great
  • The thought and explanations in the User Manual are great (both the decisions and how they are addressed)
  • The ability to "successfully and simply" configure my popular mainstream Logitech mouse is a nice surprise. Meaning, it is possible to set set a) mouse speed (to decrease "acceleration") and b) the mouse scroll wheel direction (to "reverse"). Surprisingly, IME at least two of the most popular OSes listed above mess this simple thing up somehow, but AVL-MX21 gets it right!
I have some basic, limited music background, nothing compared to most people here I am sure. It's the search for stable support of MOTU M4 out of the box, especially for OBS Studio, etc., that brought me here.

But, given all the included software (DAW, etc.), I hope to play around with music more, as I have wanted to do for a while. Wishing well to everyone. Music has a unique way to bring people together.