Greetings from Germany!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Peng!uin
Established Member

Greetings from Germany!

Post by Peng!uin »

Hi everyone,

Although I've already created some threads, I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself.

About me

I'm a software developer from the South-Western part of Germany whose (neglected) hobby is music. I used to do quite a bit of mixing for myself and friends and I also liked to play around and produce some tracks of my own. I really love most genres of music and production-wise, I'm a big fan of any form of EDM.
While I really haven't done anything in a long while, I'm looking forwards to being able to continue writing my own stuff on Linux. Even though I've "stopped" with music, I continue narrating things where my pseudo-professional setup comes in handy.

Why Linux

Originally, I've been a Windows user for over a decade (with a few detours to Linux and macOS for a few months at a time). Then switched to the Mac for practical reasons (IMO better Audio subsystem, easier platform to work with for a developer, also supported all my music and video apps) for a decade. However, I've really not liked most new products Apple produced for the last four years now. So I could either get stuck with what I had and continue to "hope" or I would need to just re-platform. Of course, I've chosen the latter. I've been using Linux on servers and "random" machines for quite some time. Reading up on Wayland and PipeWire, the Linux desktop also sounded like it was in an exciting time.
Looking back at the catastrophe that is Windows beyond and including 10, it was a pretty quick decision to just leave Windows and macOS behind.

So... This is why I'm here :-)
I'm hoping to learn a lot from you and will probably pose one or another "stupid" question to get my Linux desktop/audio experience going. :-)

PS: For the curious:

Current setup
MOTU UltraLite AVB - openSUSE Tumbleweed w/ KDE and PulseAudio
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Germany!

Post by Basslint »

Thanks for sharing how you arrived on GNU/Linux, I think it can be useful to understand its position in the desktop arena. Welcome :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Peng!uin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:49 pm PS: For the curious:

Current setup
MOTU UltraLite AVB - openSUSE Tumbleweed w/ KDE and PulseAudio
Welcome, fellow Linux musician. Do you have the older UltraLite AVB without ESS chips oder the newer one? Do you have channel hopping issues?

Do you use Drumfix' driver? See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814

I have the older one and with Drumfix' driver it runs perfectly.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Peng!uin
Established Member

Post by Peng!uin »

bluebell wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 pm Welcome, fellow Linux musician. Do you have the older UltraLite AVB without ESS chips oder the newer one? Do you have channel hopping issues?
I seem to have the newer, ESS based version. And yes, there are a lot of problems. Mainly on the out side though. You can find out about my odyssey here:
viewtopic.php?p=139025
bluebell wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 pm Do you use Drumfix' driver? See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814
I have opted to just give up instead. I bought the RME Fireface UCX II to replace the MOTU, read more at:
viewtopic.php?p=139025#p139025

So far, it's been great. But I'm only 10h in now. Will report back if anything happens. Absolutely zero issues so far and boot times of like 4s. Fantastic.