New Member from the Netherlands

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DeRaaf
Established Member

New Member from the Netherlands

Post by DeRaaf »

Hi all,

New on this forum. I needed to liquidate my old studio gear (almost all analog), move to a cheaper, smaller house. I'm trying to build my new home "studio" the best way possible within a strict budget and room limitations (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23527&p=135602#p135602).

I never worked much with DAW's and computer audio before. I'm a Linux user for many years, but still not hardcore knowledgeable.

So I think a few questions are coming the way of this forum.

Still in the process of deciding what route to take with my DAW (leaning towards Reaper).

I'm from the eastern part of the Netherlands (I feel more German than Dutch), 48 years old. Guitar is my main focus, studied classical organ (Bach, Bach, Bach and a little bit of Bach) from an early age. At the moment I'm into Blues, Dessert/Stoner rock, Folk, Indie, but I'm a real omnivore concerning Musical taste.

It's a pleasure to meet you all.
folderol
Established Member

Re: New Member from the Netherlands

Post by folderol »

Hi. Welcome aboard.
If you are really tight for space and finance don't underestimate the value of a good pair of headphones.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
DeRaaf
Established Member

Post by DeRaaf »

folderol wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm Hi. Welcome aboard.
If you are really tight for space and finance don't underestimate the value of a good pair of headphones.
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't underestimate the value of headphones, but they are not a replacement for monitors. I personally never get a nice stereo image on headphones.

I already bought my studiogear, happy with it for now. -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23527&p=135602#p135602
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Welcome aboard! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Hi there. We've chatted in the topic about your (nice) home studio setup. I'm also from Holland (which you might have guessed) but I'm from the west/the coast (South Holland). I'm into Pink Floyd mainly. But I also like 70's Funk nowadays and your average basic electro and, back in the day, Techno House. I'm about your age. I've been using Linux as my default OS since 2005. My musical abilities and talent are nil but that does not hold me back in fiddling with synths. I find using a DAW difficult and never intuitive. I like hardware better. You cannot avoid using a DAW every now and then for which I use QTractor (= Linux native). Or simply the underrated Audacity to mix and apply the odd reverb.

Welcome and have fun! :)

P.S. Does Reaper run stable on your Linux machine?
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

welcome :)
DeRaaf
Established Member

Post by DeRaaf »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:52 am Hi there. We've chatted in the topic about your (nice) home studio setup. I'm also from Holland (which you might have guessed) but I'm from the west/the coast (South Holland). I'm into Pink Floyd mainly. But I also like 70's Funk nowadays and your average basic electro and, back in the day, Techno House. I'm about your age. I've been using Linux as my default OS since 2005. My musical abilities and talent are nil but that does not hold me back in fiddling with synths. I find using a DAW difficult and never intuitive. I like hardware better. You cannot avoid using a DAW every now and then for which I use QTractor (= Linux native). Or simply the underrated Audacity to mix and apply the odd reverb.

Welcome and have fun! :)

P.S. Does Reaper run stable on your Linux machine?
Yes, Reaper runs really well on my system. Giving me lower latency on certain settings than Ardour. Only in the point zero range though.

I'm really curious what will happen if I incorporate some synth possibilities into my studio, got a little MIDI keyboard. So nothing stopping me ...