hello

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danipepe

hello

Post by danipepe »

new to linux
i am currently using w7
my pc is a very crappy one, intel celeron e3200 with 2GB of RAM, but i can do most of my thing in this pc.
i use reaper, with amp sims and superior drummer 2 and ample bass lite or modo bass from ik.
also i use guitar pro 5 for learning songs and export the midi to reaper and sometimes i make a backing track.
as you can see my necesities are very basic reaper, amp sims, ir loader, and watch youtube. i can do all of this in my current w7 installation. but i like to try linux.
i am currently downloading linux peppermint and av linux mx, and also deleting files from my hdd to make space for partitions, i know i need one partition for the linux install and other for the swap.

i am going to try av linux first and see if i can use the plugins with yabridge or linvst. i guess you have to install wine to be able to use the vst for windows right?
basically I want to do the same things that I do in windows but in linux. but i don't know anything about linux.
sorry for my english :mrgreen:
Basslint
Established Member

Re: hello

Post by Basslint »

Welcome! As a general rule of thumb, wanting to do what you do on Windows on GNU/Linux is a recipe for reverting to Windows. Have to tell you, so that you approach it with the right mindset :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
danipepe

Post by danipepe »

Basslint wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:38 am Welcome! As a general rule of thumb, wanting to do what you do on Windows on GNU/Linux is a recipe for reverting to Windows. Have to tell you, so that you approach it with the right mindset :D
ey thanks, i was encouraged because reading the reaper linux forum i see that are guys running some of the vst that i use with wine and yabridge. :D
Eli
Established Member

Post by Eli »

Welcome. Linux will 100% benefit you on that hardware. Have fun going down the rabbit hole!