Problem running JJazzLab 2.3.1 on an old computer, Linux Mint

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danilson

Problem running JJazzLab 2.3.1 on an old computer, Linux Mint

Post by danilson »

Hello everyone! I'm new here. First post! Please forgive me (and alert me) for any posting procedure problem.

I installed JJazzLab 2.3.1 on my Linux Mint 17 old notebook, but I coudn't run it properly. Then I installed Mint 18 on the same computer and the problem remained. So I guess the problem is on the computer, not the OS or the program.
It was like this:

1- I followed the instructions at jjazzlab.gitbook.io/user-guide/installation.
Just unzipped on home/programs/jjazzlab (where I wanted the program to be), double clicked the file into bin/jjazzlab and... nothing. Just a black window. On Mint 18, the only difference is that the window is yellow.
I also tried with "open from terminal". It showed a warning message and then went again to thee same black window.

2- I had previous problems configuring the graphic card for this machine during Linux installation. It only recognized the 640 resolution. It took me a while to find the solution. It's graphic card is a SIS Mirage 3. I found out it's not good and everyone has problems with it.
I don't think it's related to this issue. But I'm not a programmer, so... who knows.

3- I restarted the computer with the mint 18 boot usb connected. Tried jazzlab and... it worked!
Same thing happened with my monitor resolution problem before. When in boot mode, everything was fine. When running from installation, problems start to show up.
Any idea about why is that?

4- Already talked to JJazzLab developer (Jerome). He saw the log and said it is OK, no problems there. Then he recomended this forum.

I think the problem is with my notebook. Not with the system, or jjazzlab. Maybe some not updated or poor components, just as it was with my graphic card. It is a cheap machine, for the time it was on the market. And now it's also old.

VIDEO of the error happening here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJQvZf ... sp=sharing.

Error message PRINTS:

Image 1 (white one): the file I double clicked to install. Also tried "open in Terminal".
jjazzlab_01.png
jjazzlab_01.png (54.01 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Image 2: Warning message at the Terminal.
jjazzlab_02.png
jjazzlab_02.png (66.89 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Image 3: other two windows opening, yet with nothing.
jjazzlab_03.png
jjazzlab_03.png (50.14 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Thanks in advance to all who may help!
milo
Established Member

Re: Problem running JJazzLab 2.3.1 on an old computer, Linux Mint

Post by milo »

Mint 18 is still old. Will it not run Mint 20?