Hello everyone!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

colonel_panic
Established Member

Hello everyone!

Post by colonel_panic »

Hi folks

Long time lurker, but very rare poster.

I'm colonel_panic, AKA Chris. I live in a little house in a town on the edge of the Peak District in England.

I play the ukulele, and specifically I'm interested in music written from about 1920-60. It's just so well put together! I play and sing and sometimes my friend joins in on the piano. All strictly amateur stuff of course.

Although I only took up music a few years ago, I've been a lifelong tinkerer with computers, right back to my ZX Spectrum days. My first experience with Linux involved downloading Slackware (I think) over about 40 floppy disk images. Each one took a night. I've had Debian as my primary OS since about 2003, with a few dalliances with other distros. My last Windows PC ran Vista, since then my only Windows experience has been people asking me questions about their computers which I couldn't answer. :oops:

I'm here to learn more about recording and sharing music. I've set myself a challenge for this year of recording an album of forgotten songs.
milo
Established Member

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by milo »

Welcome! I'm interested to hear your ukelele music.

I never downloaded Linux on floppies, but I do recall trying to use Red Hat and Caldera Linux in 2000. It took me about 2 hours of trial and error to get a setting that would work with my monitor in xfree86config. Man, things have come a long way since then!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hello Colonel! As a fan of vintage music, I would be much interested in your work :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Hi and welcome!
colonel_panic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am Although I only took up music a few years ago, I've been a lifelong tinkerer with computers, right back to my ZX Spectrum days. My first experience with Linux involved downloading Slackware (I think) over about 40 floppy disk images. Each one took a night.
colonel_panic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 amI've had Debian as my primary OS since about 2003, with a few dalliances with other distros.
Great!
colonel_panic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 amMy last Windows PC ran Vista, since then my only Windows experience has been people asking me questions about their computers which I couldn't answer. :oops:
Do not be ashamed for that!
milo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 pmI never downloaded Linux on floppies, but I do recall trying to use Red Hat and Caldera Linux in 2000. It took me about 2 hours of trial and error to get a setting that would work with my monitor in xfree86config. Man, things have come a long way since then!
I had something like a net-install loader of Debian in a floppy disc, this was in 2004 or 2005 (yes I still had floppy disc at the time; later, I bought an external floppy disc to be able to make back-ups of all my floppy disc and it is still a task to do after quite a few years… :oops:).
Basslint wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 pmHello Colonel! As a fan of vintage music, I would be much interested in your work :D
Vintage? I would rather say traditional music concerning Ukulele (even though 1920-1960 might be seen as vintage in itself, composing for Ukulele in that time might be a lot inspired by traditional music, am I wrong?).
Bye.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.
colonel_panic
Established Member

Post by colonel_panic »

Thanks, guys!
Vintage? I would rather say traditional music concerning Ukulele (even though 1920-1960 might be seen as vintage in itself, composing for Ukulele in that time might be a lot inspired by traditional music, am I wrong?).
Not at all! Don't get me wrong, I listen to all sorts of music but my feeling is very little that was made after about 1960 translates well to ukulele. They're a different challenge to a guitar.
Basslint wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 pm Hello Colonel! As a fan of vintage music, I would be much interested in your work :D
I will get some up. Thank you!
milo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 pm I never downloaded Linux on floppies, but I do recall trying to use Red Hat and Caldera Linux in 2000. It took me about 2 hours of trial and error to get a setting that would work with my monitor in xfree86config. Man, things have come a long way since then!
Oh, Caldera. There's a blast from the past! Yes, things are so much easier. Especially getting help.