Greetings from Germany

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baxbear
Established Member

Greetings from Germany

Post by baxbear »

Dear Community,

I am a computer scientist (definitely not a linux expert), 29yo, from Germany. I work since I don't know when on notebooks running ArchLinux, I know as much as necessary to do the things I want to and learn new stuff about my system when it certain problems arise. In my free time I love to play guitar and at the beginning of this year I switched from classical guitar to electric guitar and I am learning around two hours almost daily since then. Recently I bought a used usb audio interface (Roland Rubix22) which I would like to setup to connect my guitar to my pc to be able to hear it via my built in speakers while using amp simulators like guitarix, rackarack ... . Later on I would maybe extend it to forwarding the signal to an more professional external speaker. (Of course I will make a more precise separate thread for this problem - just mentioning it since it brought me here) Afterwards I would like to start playing with effects and settings to understand those in more detail before I go out and buy stuff I don't need/like don't understand. Furthermore I am currently and my parents flat over christmas and in the beginning of the new year and I only have my notebook, the usb interface and my guitar with me. Maybe I will be able to create a working setup still in 2020 with your help.

Yeah, so that is basically all about me.

Kind Regards,
baxbear
folderol
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Germany

Post by folderol »

Hi,
Welcome here.
Not a guitarist myself, but this should be quite do-able. You'll have to move fast to get set up in 2020 though :)
I do know there are a number of guitar effects programs. At it's simplest you could probably record to Audacity.

Others here will have better advice :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Greetings from Germany

Post by Basslint »

Hello and welcome!

In short, for now you have to:
1) Plug your audio interface to your PC
2) Plug your external speakers to your audio interface (as JACK isn't easy to use with multiple audio interfaces, AFAIK). That is, unless they are USB speakers...in that case, look for audio inputs
3) Configure JACK to use your USB audio interface in duplex mode. You can do it via Qjackctl
4) Plug your guitar into your audio interface
5) Start JACK
6) Start Guitarix or Rakarrack
7) If this is not done automatically, connect input and outputs via Qjackctl's "Connect" (we can help, post here if you have problems)
8) Have fun pretending to be Kevin Shields, Tom Morello, Michael Schenker or anybody of your liking :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!