Greetings and Thanks from AV Linux

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Greetings and Thanks from AV Linux

Post by GMaq »

Hello,

Firstly I want to thank and give props to the maintainers of this site, what a great resource for Linux Audio enthusiasts! It is also terrific to see the presence of so many great developers here... Thanks for all you do in the sometimes thankless job of sharing your applications.

I am the developer/maintainer of AV Linux...I'm the new kid on the Linux Audio distro block and have a steadily growing base of users. I've seen a few mentions of AV Linux here and I thought I'd better get with it and see what's up over here at LinuxMusicians. Very Impressive

Thanks for the opportunity to say Hi!

I'm not here to advertise, but if anyone is curious:
AV Linux: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html
dArAzAc
Established Member

Re: Greetings and Thanks from AV Linux

Post by dArAzAc »

Welcome GMaq,

I've used AV Linux in the past, it's a great distro that I'll likely be returning to in the near future. We've got a great little community here, it's good to have you. :)
Listen to my audio!@http://dArAzAc.bandcamp.com
Current Rig: Dell Vostro 1520, Arch Linux, Novation Remote25SL, and my trusty guitar.
<3 ZynAddSubFX
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

dArAzAc wrote:Welcome GMaq,

I've used AV Linux in the past, it's a great distro that I'll likely be returning to in the near future. We've got a great little community here, it's good to have you. :)
Thanks for the welcome, I guess my first question should be if you "used" AV Linux what is it that made you stop using it? Just curious...this is the kind of stuff I need to know to make it better.

If you are interested in a second try a new updated ISO is just around the corner you can see the changelog here: http://geekconnection.org/remastersys/f ... opic=273.0
dArAzAc
Established Member

Post by dArAzAc »

I switched primarily because I tried it in the midst of a serious distrohopping binge. Also, my wireless card hates Debian based systems (that's more of a matter of laziness on my part), and I'm not huge on the aesthetics of AV Linux, I prefer a Fluxbox window manager to the WinXP style LXDE if I need to go lightweight, having all of my audio applications defaulting to one folder Audio with a WinXP style psuedo-Start-button kills me. I have the same issue with UbuStu.
Listen to my audio!@http://dArAzAc.bandcamp.com
Current Rig: Dell Vostro 1520, Arch Linux, Novation Remote25SL, and my trusty guitar.
<3 ZynAddSubFX
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

dArAzAc wrote:I switched primarily because I tried it in the midst of a serious distrohopping binge. Also, my wireless card hates Debian based systems (that's more of a matter of laziness on my part), and I'm not huge on the aesthetics of AV Linux, I prefer a Fluxbox window manager to the WinXP style LXDE if I need to go lightweight, having all of my audio applications defaulting to one folder Audio with a WinXP style psuedo-Start-button kills me. I have the same issue with UbuStu.
Thanks for replying. I appreciate your honesty. I have to agree with you on the menu, I don't know if you had time to look at the screenshot for the next release but that's one thing I've tried to remedy by creating some separate menu entries for the ALSA tools-gui's and linuxDSP plugins both of which were contributing to the logjam of apps in the Audio Video menu. The problem with getting too jiggy with menu customization is that every update will end up placing applications back in their generic categories again so it is difficult to maintain.

Fluxbox is a terrific DE for the end user but it is a little unfriendly to new users who haven't used Linux before, that's why I went with LXDE,

I appreciate the feedback!
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Welcome!

-Matt :D