L@@king to compose using Linux ! :)

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

L@@king to compose using Linux ! :)

Post by NomadJago »

Hi
I want to learn how to use Linux to practice keyboarding and also composing in a DAW-- which means I need help figuring out how to find some instruments and get them working in Linux with low latency. I am pretty good at using Linux in general, but I normally practice piano and composing in Windows 10 using Reaper for my DAW and tons of sampled instruments from Spitfire Audio, Heavyocity, Native Instruments. I have MX Linux installed, and have installed Ardour. I do not know much about native linux vsts and such, hoping to get some help here.
NomadJago :)
bulevardi
Established Member

Re: L@@king to compose using Linux ! :)

Post by bulevardi »

Hi there NomadJago,

There is an exhaustive list of free native linux plugins. Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?t=20773
Don't know if it's still updated, but you can further post your questions there if you have any about certain plugins.

Otherwise, you can also use Reaper in Linux, if you're already used to work with it under Windows, you can use your licence in Linux too on (I think 3) different devices, one at a time.

I'm using U-HE plugins (but these are not free), but work very well under Linux.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
NomadJago
Established Member

Re: L@@king to compose using Linux ! :)

Post by NomadJago »

bulevardi wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 am ....There is an exhaustive list of free native linux plugins. Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?t=20773
Thank you bulevardi! At this point I am a deer in the headlights, so I want to explore native linux plugins as well as learning if there is a way to use my existing Windows vst plugins with Reaper for Linux. Anything to find a way to do keyboard practice daily and at least mockups of compositions in Linux, then I can boot into Windows when needed to using my proprietary expensive VSTs for final compositions.