Hi there musicans

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luís
Established Member

Hi there musicans

Post by Luís »

Hello to everyone, a short introduction to myself.

Started working on Linux in 1996/1997, Slackware with Xfce. In 1998 installed Linux for the first time on my own computer, Red Hat something with GNome 1. Always had a distro installed somewhere since then. In 2009 Ubuntu finally solved a long standing issue connecting my laptop to external monitors and since then I only work on Linux, be it at the office or at home. I am in the top 2% at AskUbuntu (not that I know that much, it has just been a while).

Musician is perhaps too strong a word. I though myself folk guitar playing along old music my father liked (CCR in particular). Between 16 and 21 played in a folk band, had a good load of fun and traveled quite a bit. Afterwards short failed attempts as bass player and singer in rock bands. Then collage took over.

More recently got me a reparation project of sorts and restarted playing bass. Now discovering a whole new world of Linux.

Cheers.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Hi there musicans

Post by Basslint »

Welcome Luis, glad to have one of the pioneers here :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
grooveman
Established Member

Post by grooveman »

Hi Luis,

I'm in a similar situation. I put my guitar down for many years, and I feel a bit like Rip VanWinkle. All the technology and techniques we employed back in the early 90s are all but dead. I picked up on Linux in 1999, and it has been my OS of choice ever since.

I've recently started building my studio. I'm groping my way through producing music on a Linux PC, and have much to learn, but it is fun, and I feel good about launching this part of my life on an open platform. I look forward to the adventure. I hope you do to.

Welcome :)

G
Luís
Established Member

Post by Luís »

Basslint wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:46 am Welcome Luis, glad to have one of the pioneers here :D
That's funny, it really did not felt like pioneering at the time. Linux was already a household name of sorts and was just a convenient platform to develop programmes later to be compiled and executed on the Solaris mainframe at the Faculty.

Cheers.
Luís
Established Member

Post by Luís »

grooveman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:47 pm I've recently started building my studio. I'm groping my way through producing music on a Linux PC, and have much to learn, but it is fun, and I feel good
My aims are considerably less ambitious, but thanks for the welcome note.

Cheers.