Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Post by sunrat »

Hi my name is Roger and I'm <redacted> years old. :mrgreen: I'm a recently retired live sound engineer after many years doing FOH or monitors with local and touring bands and most recently as house tech at the Corner Hotel, one of Melbourne's premier music venues.
Been using Linux for ~16 years, mainly Debian or derivatives. Currently I use siduction for day-to-day use and a customised Debian Buster with KDE Plasma 5 for production, with a lot of config borrowed from AV Linux, and KX repos.
Mainly for music I use Mixbus 32C for remixing dozens of multitrack recordings of bands I have worked with including quite a few well-known international acts. Interestingly I always asked if it's ok to record and was only ever denied once.
I'm currently trying to expand musical scope to learning keyboard after a friend gave me an old Novation Nocturn, and am endeavouring to get my head around MIDI on computer starting with Qtractor, following yPhil's guides on Youtube and others.
I'm also learning the value of compiling software. Several programs like jalv-select have no alternative, while I found my distro version Qtractor didn't work so well but compiled latest version works great.
Lastly I'd like to mention, I've subscribed to Linux Audio Users mailing list for a long time so thought Linux audio was rather quiet, but joining here has been refreshing to see so much activity!
Thanks to the founders and admins. This forum is an excellent resource. :wink: 8)
milo
Established Member

Re: Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Post by milo »

Welcome, Roger! Glad to have such an experienced ear on the forum. Certainly you have a lot to offer, and I only hope we can make it worth your while to hang out here.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Welcome Roger, very glad to have someone with your kind of experience here!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Thanks for the welcome! I feel more like an eternal n00b with Linux audio rather than experienced though, after being awed by some other contributors' knowledge. :? :D I'm particularly impressed by the devs who code this stuff and imagine they must have studied at the Unseen University to learn the required magic. 8)
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

sunrat wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 am Thanks for the welcome! I feel more like an eternal n00b with Linux audio rather than experienced though, after being awed by some other contributors' knowledge. :? :D I'm particularly impressed by the devs who code this stuff and imagine they must have studied at the Unseen University to learn the required magic. 8)
I know that feeling well. Been using Linux since a mate sold me a Cyrix-powered PC in 1998 (I think), after I met DRS/NX and decided I wanted more, been working with Linux and various Unices since then, and just retired after 5 years as a "senior" network engineer at a Linux-heavy software company based a few hours north of you... and I still feel like a perpetual n00b.

So consider yourself in good company here :)
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.