Who and why I'm here.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eegrek39

Who and why I'm here.

Post by eegrek39 »

I am a 77 year old male, suffering from the effects of extreme lock down and have recovered my Yamaha PSR2000 from the Garage.
I have a Toshiba laptop which is now connected with an OTRAKI midi connector directly to my laptop. (newly purchased)
My main and initial goal was to find a way of adding styles to my keyboard to develop both the range of the keyboard, and by exploring the digital sound creator I have been trying to mimic some of the later keyboard models to get a better and more fuller sound experience.
I have modified the keyboard to use a usb emulator which is working fine.
I have downloaded a number of different software options which include QJackCtl, Yoshimi, Rosegarden, Ardour, Audacity and Yamaha's Musicsoft to try to get the computer connected correctly to the keyboard. The first goal to get more styles is not yet close, as I cannot get the connection required by MusicSoft.
Being unsuccessful I am now simply trying to record to my computer using Midi. I have got close a few times but I have not discovered which set of settings were successful. The sound reproduction was also very bad. Any help with either software options and/or settings would be much appreciated.
My Christian name is David if anyone would like to suggest my options. Thank you very much.
milo
Established Member

Re: Who and why I'm here.

Post by milo »

Welcome to the forum!

Can you get the midi signal into Yoshimi? If so then we are halfway there.

I recommend reading the midi section of the Ardour manual: https://manual.ardour.org/midi/midi-overview/. A lot of your questions will be answered there.

Another option is to use MuseScore.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

If you have Yoshimi version 1.7.0 or later, it can be set to automatically connect to any ALSA MIDI port it sees.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
bonnieshona

Post by bonnieshona »

People are so complex, you could get lost forever trying to determine who you sort of are and who you really are from day to day. Unless you adhere to a teleological philosophy, there's no reason any of us is here. We find our own purpose along the way, and in the end our achievements may be construed as reasons for our having been here, but it's really only in retrospect, I think, that a purpose can be clearly seen.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Welcome.
YAMAHA Musicsoft Downloader wrote:What works
-
Installation - Connection check - Transferring files from keyboard to PC - Transferring files from PC to keyboard
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=34549

This page was quite good. But it is currently not available. https://libremusicproduction.com/articl ... dware.html

<EDIT> Here: https://web.archive.org/web/20200811020 ... dware.html (viewtopic.php?p=126089#p126089).</EDIT>
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

eegrek39 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:31 pm I am a 77 year old male, suffering from the effects of extreme lock down and have recovered my Yamaha PSR2000 from the Garage.
I have a Toshiba laptop which is now connected with an OTRAKI midi connector directly to my laptop. (newly purchased)
My main and initial goal was to find a way of adding styles to my keyboard to develop both the range of the keyboard, and by exploring the digital sound creator I have been trying to mimic some of the later keyboard models to get a better and more fuller sound experience.
I have modified the keyboard to use a usb emulator which is working fine.
I have downloaded a number of different software options which include QJackCtl, Yoshimi, Rosegarden, Ardour, Audacity and Yamaha's Musicsoft to try to get the computer connected correctly to the keyboard. The first goal to get more styles is not yet close, as I cannot get the connection required by MusicSoft.
Being unsuccessful I am now simply trying to record to my computer using Midi. I have got close a few times but I have not discovered which set of settings were successful. The sound reproduction was also very bad. Any help with either software options and/or settings would be much appreciated.
My Christian name is David if anyone would like to suggest my options. Thank you very much.
Welcome David! If you want, we can help you step by step. What distro do you use?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!