Viable soon?

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kaffe
Established Member

Viable soon?

Post by Kaffe »

Howdy,

I was browsing around to find out if I could turn this ageing Apple workstation into a Linux one. It's been active for many a-years, but I can't update it anymore due to new hardware prerequisites, so I'm stuck with the OS version I have. I'm not completely comfortable with that... Also, I'm a Linux user generally, so would like to make the switch in the studio as well!

The problem is that I have a Saffire Liquid 56 paired with an OctoPre and it seems it isn't compatible with Linux. Looking around, I have a hard time seeing ANY audio interface being supported officially, which seems weird in 2020...

Anyway, to be completely honest, I'm not too sure I'll hang around here as an active member, but saying hello anyway. If you have any juicy information on how to get a fully functional recording studio with supported hardware (16 channel input) and software through Linux, I'm all ears. The only reason to not go fully linux is if you're into professional media production. Even gaming is hard to justify going anything but Linux now a days. :]

So, what have I done? Well, donno, a bunch of stuff through the years. The most recent would be a friend of mine attacking me with a full album, bringing me out of hiatus as a drummer. From not having listened to any of the tracks, I wrote, recorded and did the rough cut for his album in 3 session, 12.5 hours in total. https://jaymatharu.bandcamp.com/releases

I've done a whole lot more, but going on and on about ageing achievements seems pretty dull.

Currently I don't do much at all, but hope this will change in the future. I need more music in my life!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Viable soon?

Post by tavasti »

Kaffe wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm The problem is that I have a Saffire Liquid 56 paired with an OctoPre and it seems it isn't compatible with Linux. Looking around, I have a hard time seeing ANY audio interface being supported officially, which seems weird in 2020...
Hi, welcome joining us!

Yes, there is very few any hardware that is officially supported to run linux. However, that does not mean that they don't work. Most of the interfaces work, but before purchase anything google around a bit.
Kaffe wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm So, what have I done? Well, donno, a bunch of stuff through the years. The most recent would be a friend of mine attacking me with a full album, bringing me out of hiatus as a drummer. From not having listened to any of the tracks, I wrote, recorded and did the rough cut for his album in 3 session, 12.5 hours in total. https://jaymatharu.bandcamp.com/releases
That sounds great. Found that also in spotify, added it to my huge collection I listen round robin in alphabetical order :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

ChuggnBlues
Established Member

Post by ChuggnBlues »

Finding a decent audio interface that works in linux is a little annoying. From what I've researched though, as long as the device is class compliant (most/all devices that work on an iPad should be class compliant) it should work out of the box. The main thing is you have to research what functionality is available in class compliant mode - some interfaces require proprietary software to access all the functions (usually stuff like mixing knobs).
Kaffe
Established Member

Post by Kaffe »

tavasti wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 am Yes, there is very few any hardware that is officially supported to run linux. However, that does not mean that they don't work.
ChuggnBlues wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm From what I've researched though, as long as the device is class compliant (most/all devices that work on an iPad should be class compliant) it should work out of the box.
Well, that's just the thing. I don't want them merely to "work" in the broadest definition of the term.
bitsnpcs wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:13 am I made some looking around for you as I am not familiar with the devices, but hope it helps some way -
Nice, it's always something.

I might actually just take a separate hard drive, install Linux on the workstation and see if I can get it working. Just need to find the time and motivation, the latter you might have already helped with a tad.
bitsnpcs wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:13 am If it is not dull for you to write it, it is interesting, for me anyhow, to read about members past achievements, and any future planned ones , more music in life is always good :)
I have music listening on 8 hours upwards many days, and even up to 15 hours in one day sometimes. Others I know are similar.
Well, if you're gonna be like that...
I have a band that is technically still active, even if I have not much to show for it. We released a "split single" over ten years ago (I actually took the time to upload it to a Spotify distributor because of this thread, so I guess it will be available there in about 14 days or so) and have been working on a new album ever since. We keep on rebooting the project and we're stuck in the musicians equivalent of "development hell". ;]
I'm hoping we'll break our self-cast curse at some point, though.

If you're interested to know even more stuff, I guess I'll just go ahead and empty whatever I have to share on you. x]
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

There are a few soundcards with official Linux support produced by Audioscience and Digigram. They produce high-end cards like the VX882e or the ASI5788.
Kaffe
Established Member

Post by Kaffe »

merlyn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:45 am There are a few soundcards with official Linux support produced by Audioscience and Digigram. They produce high-end cards like the VX882e or the ASI5788.
Even though that is great to hear, it's not really equivalent to a Liquid Saffire 56 combined with an OctoPre.

I'm completely confident that you can get a fully functioning, professional grade studio with Linux as the operating system, but the issue is that it is very inaccessible and need a lot of research, very specific hardware and so on. Might be something to look into if I am to renew my studio in a greater sense or build a studio for scratch at some point, but now it's specifically an old Apple MacPro I wish to... save, more or less. I might consider replacing the current audiointerface with add-on if I can swap it without too much money lost in the exchange (sell it, buy something more compatible/better with Linux), but as there doesn't seem to be anything equivalent officially supported, messing with what I have is probably the best approach for the time being.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Former Mac user here. Politics and licenses notwithstanding, I would never recommend someone switch to Linux for audio unless they actually like and enjoy the challenges that come along with it. The main challenge of switching is accepting the likelihood of "you can't take it with you" (which apparently includes your soundcard).

But since you're already a Linux user and your (very cool) music sounds like it's mostly analog (you're probably not dependent on a bunch of Mac-specific software to create with), do consider perusing a Linux audio workstation at some point. You'll lose a little time to research but make up for it by saving tons of money and not being put in the nasty vendor lock-in position you're currently in again.
listenable at c6a7.org
ChuggnBlues
Established Member

Post by ChuggnBlues »

Kaffe wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 am
tavasti wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 am Yes, there is very few any hardware that is officially supported to run linux. However, that does not mean that they don't work.
ChuggnBlues wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm From what I've researched though, as long as the device is class compliant (most/all devices that work on an iPad should be class compliant) it should work out of the box.
Well, that's just the thing. I don't want them merely to "work" in the broadest definition of the term.
I mean, all you care about is a feature-rich device, right? I just bought a UMC1820 and every single feature is available in Linux out of the box, without any driver installations or other software. There are others that work as well (including *all* features), but it is a challenge to find out what exactly is supported.
Kaffe
Established Member

Post by Kaffe »

ufug wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm Former Mac user here. ...snip...
Well, yeah, I'm running Linux for everything otherwise, and I'm not shy to do a little dirty work myself. I think I'll just have to make an install and do some trials and see if I can get satisfied to begin with and work from there. Might get some time to do that at some point this summer. :]
ufug wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm...your (very cool) music...
Thank you!
ChuggnBlues wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pmI mean, all you care about is a feature-rich device, right? I just bought a UMC1820 and every single feature is available in Linux out of the box...
I might look into that if my initial trials fail to deliver what I'm after. Thank you for the tip!