Hi from Germany

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dailybug2
Established Member

Hi from Germany

Post by dailybug2 »

Hi, I registered some time ago, but I'm starting to use the forum only now.

In the 90s, I made some substandard dance/house/tecc tracks with the limited equipment available:
- Cubase 2.x on Atari (MIDI only)
- ASR10 sampler (16 MB RAM :? )
- M1R midi expander :(
... and some even older devices.

Now things advanced quite a lot and my interests also changed:
- Korg stage piano with very good piano and e-piano sounds
- MusE DAW (compiled recent version from GIT)
- real instruments to be recorded (E-Guit, Snare, HiHat, some Latin toys)
- interest changed to a mix of Acid/House/Jazz/Groove/Latin, always with some acoustics - no tecc anymore. I'm too old.

The Calf effects available in MuSE are amazing and good electronic sounds are plenty.

I do not want to use the sampler or M1 anymore, too much fuss. Now I'm looking for sounds in the context of MusE. Electronic sounds are available, but what's missing is some acoustic stuff (brass, strings, acoustic bass). The GM sound fonts are nice for concept tracks, but they lack dynamic and modulation.

There is a lot of stuff in the net, but it takes quite some time to find and evaluate it. Some good tips anybody? Maybe I will issue a specific request in the forum later.

Have fun in quarantine,
Wolfgang
(not related to Mozart in any way; I don't like classic music at all)
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
nils
Established Member

Re: Hi from Germany

Post by nils »

Hello Wolfgang

welcome and herzlich willkomen.
Bella
Established Member

Re: Hi from Germany

Post by Bella »

Hi Wolfgang, I cut my teeth on hardware controlled MIDI in the 90s too, then in 98 or 99 started using Cakewalk to sequence and record. I was doing a lot of Industrial back then, but I also had other projects that were not synth/sampler focused.

It was nice to move on from 4 track tape for recording, simply for the additional tracks and easier methods of manipulating MIDI data. I do sometimes miss the quirks and limits of the old 4 & 8 track. It forced a certain amount of creativity when it came to to bouncing and mixing. Truth is, I'd probably get frustrated pretty quick if I had to return to the old ways and frankly, I do love having virtually unlimited possibilities these days - but I do try to maintain some sense of forced-limitation so that stuff feels a little more organic and less over-produced - to me at least. I guess I don't really *need* to have 18 guitars in a song and 34 tracks of backing vocals :p

Welcome and have fun exploring all of the current ways of creating and recording!