Hi from the PacNW

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bella
Established Member

Hi from the PacNW

Post by Bella »

Hey everyone,

I've been using Cakewalk/Sonar on Windows since 1998. My music system is (still!) currently an XP machine, since I had been loath to do without certain software that were not compatible with later WIndows editions, and as Windows goes, I'd always found XP to be one of the more stable releases. I do a fresh install every few years, but yeah. Time to move on.

All that said, I've been running Linux on my other systems since 2013, so while I am new to recording with Linux, I am not new to Linux itself.

I took a few stabs at setting up a Linux-based DAW, but always had issues with audio interface support. My current interface is a Mackie Onyx Satellite, which has been perfect, but I'd never been able to find any solutions to getting it to work with Linux at all. That's another reason I stayed with windows. At the time I purchased the Satellite, it was a new product and quite expensive, but you can now find them for like 50 bucks online, which is to be expected I guess, given that it's like 15 years old --but still. Anyway, I digress.

Right now I'm looking into interfaces compatible with Linux, and it looks like I'll either be getting a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or a Behringer UMC204 (or 404 or whatever).

DAW/Sequencer wise my plan is to use Ardour, which I have some (but not a ton) of experience using.

I'm currently working on an album, and I kind of want to do it all via Linux, which will take some additional time learning how to use new software and whatnot, but also a great opportunity to really flesh it all out. Trial by fire, I suppose.

I don't work with MIDI as much a I did in the distant past, but I do sequence my own drum tracks and occasionally synth/organ stuff. Everything else is analog input - guitar, bass, etc.

Anyhoo, glad to be here and hope everytone is staying safe and faring well!

Bella
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Hi from the PacNW

Post by bluebell »

If MIDI is not your main "business" then Ardour is a good choice.

Welcome and have fun.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Bella
Established Member

Re: Hi from the PacNW

Post by Bella »

Thanks!