attmpting to learn again.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

integerspin

attmpting to learn again.

Post by integerspin »

I bought a tele copy to have another go at learning to play. have another go, when I was 15 or 16 a girls little brother gave me an acoustic guitar, after a day I realised I wasn't going to give jeff beck sleepless nights and gave up!

My old hands aren't great but I am assuming they get better?
Major breakthrough last night I got jack to put some sound out through a UX1, I was just about to give in and buy a rocksmith cable. So much bettewith some sound, or worse depending on your point of view. I can now hear that everytime I hit a string it's different volume and it's pretty rare I get just one string with my left hand.
milo
Established Member

Re: attmpting to learn again.

Post by milo »

We all start somewhere! Good luck with this new hobby, and I hope you stick with it longer this time around. :) Welcome to the forum.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

integerspin wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 pm Major breakthrough last night I got jack to put some sound out through a UX1, I was just about to give in and buy a rocksmith cable. So much bettewith some sound, or worse depending on your point of view. I can now hear that everytime I hit a string it's different volume and it's pretty rare I get just one string with my left hand.
Rocksmith cable is pretty horrible as audio interface, any second hand usb audio interface with instrument plug (Hi-Z) will give you better sound. Rocksmith itself is great product, it is giving you suitable amount of challenge. I have been playing rocksmith something like 1200 hours. I am running windows rocksmith in linux.

I picked up guitar first time of my life at age of 43. Rocksmith was first thing to get started. Another thing has been open tunings. With open tunings, I could play something that I like even with minimal skills. And to get better, only way is to play. And keep playing, at least for me it has to be suitable level. Traditional guitar learning methods (starting from zero with 'justin guitar' etc) would have get me loosing inspiration pretty soon.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

tavasti wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 amI picked up guitar first time of my life at age of 43. Rocksmith was first thing to get started. Another thing has been open tunings. With open tunings, I could play something that I like even with minimal skills. And to get better, only way is to play. And keep playing, at least for me it has to be suitable level. Traditional guitar learning methods (starting from zero with 'justin guitar' etc) would have get me loosing inspiration pretty soon.
Yes, true. Even for teenagers this is true. Nice thing about guitar is that with only a chord chart you can get up to speed playing a few songs that you know within a matter of days. One of the first songs I learned was a John Denver tune with only 4 chords: G, C, D, Am. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-VXK5b1148. It was actually a piano song, but I didn't know that at the time. My dad always played it on guitar, so that's how I learned it.

Not sure I should post copyrighted work on this forum, but PM me if you want the chord changes written out. The song is dead easy to learn.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

milo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:00 pm
tavasti wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 amTraditional guitar learning methods (starting from zero with 'justin guitar' etc) would have get me loosing inspiration pretty soon.
Yes, true. Even for teenagers this is true. Nice thing about guitar is that with only a chord chart you can get up to speed playing a few songs that you know within a matter of days. One of the first songs I learned was a John Denver tune with only 4 chords: G, C, D, Am.
What you tell is that traditional guitar learning path, and if I would have picked that, I would have quitted in week. When started, those chords were so impossible that no way. Just like Justin Guitar, start with learning chords D,A,E. Sure, it is possible that I won't ever learn to play guitar properly, but at least I am amusing myself with it :-)

If I would follow some teacher, Justin Johnson with one string or 3 string guitar would be more suitable mentor for me.

integerspin

Post by integerspin »

I haven't got the ux-1 to work since! Closest I get to working is having it screeching at me.
The cheap rocksmith cable had gone by the time I decided not to waste my time on the ux-1.
So I bought some random cheap usb guitar interface, it's just been delivered and I will try it tonight.

I have no idea what's the best way of learning. When I tried many years ago the kid that gave me the guitar
showed me a simplified way to play something[house of the rising sun.] and said come back when you can play
that.
This time I decided to pick one teach yourself and work though it. justinguitar was the first
one I found so I went with that one.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

integerspin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm justinguitar was the first one I found so I went with that one.
If you have motivation to go with it, it is 100% sure you will learn to play guitar.