Hello!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

marcmcnulty

Hello!

Post by marcmcnulty »

Hello there,

I have been using Linux for quite some time and MacOS for sound and music work. It was kind of a pain having to navigate two different systems. But, Apple seemed to make the decision for me. After the decision Apple took to break their existing audio subsystem (again) with Catalina I chose to drop MacOS completely. It was too much bother to rewite my own plugins and attempt to compile against an uknown system. I am not a hater, they just wore me out. Plus, I just want a system I can actually dig into and experiment with. MacOS has become so locked down it's painful to make even minor modifications. I just stopped using MacOS one day and started collecting/assembling what I could find for Linux and was happily surprised.

At present I am using: Debian 10 with FScape, Eisenkraut (by Hanns Holger Rutz, https://www.sciss.de/), Audacity, puredata, and Reaper to bring it all together. I am working on a few plugins in Juce, but haven't decided if it's the right choice, maybe it is. I would like to port some open source plugins from win32 to Linux.

I am looking forward to learning more and sharing thoughts, ideas, and music with all of you.

All the best,
Marc

https://marcmcnulty.com
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hello!

Post by folderol »

Welcome to the forum.
There are certainly a lot of options over here. I suggest you try ans many as possible to find out what you actually like best, both from a sound point of view, and a usability one. There is (as that say) more than one way to skin a cat. There are multiple soft-synths, some with the same base, but different interfaces and features. At least two good drum synths, sample players etc.

Personally, I've not bothered with trying to port or use wrappers for VSTs. I find I can get all the sounds and effects i want without them, and it's a lot less hassle.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}