Hoi from Schneert

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

schneert
Established Member

Hoi from Schneert

Post by schneert »

Hi there,

A search engine brought me to this forum, unfortunately because I have a question. I'll post the question later on the subforum I found.

Under Linux I almost gave up creating music. I tried different DAW's but everytime there was something from keep me away from using it for production. Therefore I have a dual boot between Windows 7 and Linux. I cut off Windows from the Internet and I am only using it for music creation since I installed Debian Stretch half a year ago. I broke my Ubuntu Studio before that by trying too much things as I am not very deep involved in Linux. I consider myself as an "interested user with some skills" although those Skills are still need some upgrades :-)

However, I looked for a newer DAW (I still use Cubase SX 3) and found Reaper which could motivate me to ditch Windows completely once I got to manage everything to run under Linux. It is still a long way to go but I'll give it a try again. It should work within 2020 what I wish to accomplish. Let's see :-)

Even if a question brought me here I hope I can give something back in the future.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Hoi from Schneert

Post by folderol »

Welcome here, and full marks for persevering.
Linux isn't an easy option at first, but certainly rewarding once you get your feet under the table :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Openmastering
Established Member

Post by Openmastering »

Hey there and welcome,

It's nice to hear you're still willing to discover and use linuxaudio more.

In the end, all our softwares are just tools. I don't really need midi for mastering, so ardour is just perfect for me.
How do you use your software? What do you want to achieve? Where is the bottleneck?
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.
Bravo6
Established Member

Post by Bravo6 »

Hello and welcome,

It is good to learn that you are using Reaper. It is interesting that on the Reaper website, is says that the Linux versions are "experimental builds." Just to encourage you, I have been using the Linux version of Reaper for over a year now (with Linux Mint), and have had no problems at all. It is easy to install, easy to maintain, and very stable.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Welcome, Schneert.

If you're willing to learn how to use a new DAW you also might also like to take a look at Qtractor: it's Linux native. Demonic Sweaters on Youtube has some good introductory tutorials on Qtractor. See for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwGsNMUmQ8&t=1614s

Good luck. :)
schneert
Established Member

Post by schneert »

Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

I still need to discover some ways in Linux and with music. I certainly do my best to learn but as folderol said, Linux isn't the easiest option for music creation.

@Openmastering: About the bottleneck: Mostly it has to do with installations which requires to be compiled with some dependencies. Some dependencies are crucial for the system but required for some applications. Last time I had the problem libc6 was required with a higher version my system has. But I couldn't install that higher version as it would probably brake my system (as stated by dpkg). Also, another bootleneck: Myself. As it is comfortable to still use Cubase it is easy to keep using it. I wish to change that but I need to force myself.

For now I use Reaper creating Audio and Midi together, using some Linux VST's (The usual suspects at first, Helm, Dexed). The linux native build works quite well and Bravo6 just confirmed it is worth being used.

@Linuxmusician01: I tried Qtractor as well, but I couldn't get any sound out of it. I didn't had that problem with LMMS, Ardour or Tracktion so I don't know what I did wrong within Qtractor. I shall look into it again, I like Qtractor as well :-)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

qtractor is worth persevering with. It is very lightweight - especially useful on a lower performance computer.
Another option (my personal choice) is Rosegarden. It is the oldest sequencer of the lot, but still under development.

All sequencers have their quirks of course, so it depends on exactly what you want to do, but I would definitely recommend trying as many as possible to find what you are most comfortable with.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

schneert wrote:[...]
@Openmastering: About the bottleneck: Mostly it has to do with installations which requires to be compiled with some dependencies. Some dependencies are crucial for the system but required for some applications.
I think that you're talking about dependecy hell. I haven't experienced that in ages (and I'm on an end of support Linux distro). If you install software via official repositories you won't have that problem.
schneert wrote: @Linuxmusician01: I tried Qtractor as well, but I couldn't get any sound out of it. I didn't had that problem with LMMS, Ardour or Tracktion so I don't know what I did wrong within Qtractor. I shall look into it again, I like Qtractor as well :-)
Qtractor needs Jack audio to be started. If you want to make music on Linux you'll need to know about Jack. You may want to start a separate topic to get you stated. Really: music isn't that hard. Everything works out of the box nowadays.

Don't give up, good luck! :)
schneert
Established Member

Post by schneert »

I think that you're talking about dependecy hell. I haven't experienced that in ages (and I'm on an end of support Linux distro). If you install software via official repositories you won't have that problem.
Indeed, I had some dependency hell experiences. They're caused by myself, not by the distro. I didn't know what I was doing, it was part of trial and error and get some Linux know-how. I don't understand yet all those dependencies in Linux but I guess it is for the best to leave them untouched or update them only via official resources as you suggested, they should also update the dependencies then 8)
Qtractor needs Jack audio to be started. If you want to make music on Linux you'll need to know about Jack. You may want to start a separate topic to get you stated. Really: music isn't that hard. Everything works out of the box nowadays.
I am aware of Jack audio and its patchbay, I thought I connected everything needed. The native Linux build of Reaper needs Jack audio as well and I had to configure the Midi / Audio sections and that worked. I'll look into Qtractor again as I like the interface. If I got some problems again I'll open a thread about it!
Don't give up, good luck! :)
I won't. Thanks!