New Guy Here....

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bravo6
Established Member

New Guy Here....

Post by Bravo6 »

Greetings from the north of California. Looking forward to participating in the LinuxMusicians forum.

MY RIG:
Computer -- ASUS "gaming" laptop (2019), maxed out.
OS -- Linux Mint 19.2 Mate, 64-bit.
DAW -- Reaper.
Interface (all Focusrite) -- Scarlett 2i2, Scarlett 18i8, Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen.

MUSICAL INTERESTS:
Acoustic 6-string guitar -- Martin, Taylor, PRS.
5-string banjo -- Deering/Vega, Gold Tone, Orpheum.
Electric bass -- Ibanez, Fender.
Music interests -- mainly Americana/folk and Celtic.
folderol
Established Member

Re: New Guy Here....

Post by folderol »

Welcome. Nice to see you here.
Interesting range of ... umm interests :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Welcome to the forum, and glad to have you here! My setup is fairly similar, except that my hardware is an old beater, repurposed to be my studio machine. Someday I'll upgrade, but it's working fine for now. Also my guitars are not as nice, but they get the job done. :)

Those interests are not as eclectic as they may sound. American folk music is partly derived from Celtic music, and there is a lot in common between the genres. I like Celtic music too, at least in moderation.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi Bravo6! How long have you been using linux for audio production? I look forward to hearing your music.
Bravo6
Established Member

Post by Bravo6 »

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Folderol -- Yeah, I was not to sure what to post :) ... just thought some of my interests might be held in common with a few other members.

Milo -- "Nice" guitars are whatever works for you. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of fine axes, but truth be told, a lot of folks get very cool sounds out of instruments that are lesser known or of supposedly lesser quality. You will get no "brand snobbery" from me. And I know what you mean about liking Celtic music "at least in moderation." To be sure, it ain't for everybody...but...'tis in me blood!

Michael Willis -- I have been a linux user for many years, and have been doing audio production for about five or six years now. I started out using Audacity and liked it, but got to the point where I needed more features and flexibility. I tried a couple of others (Ardour, LMMS, etc.) and got frustrated with them. Then I started using REAPER for Linux (www.reaper.fm) awhile back, and really love it.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. Looks like you are a frog chilling out on a rocking-chair with a banjo. Maybe I will not be the weirdest reptile thing lurking out here anymore...
Bravo6 wrote:Milo -- "Nice" guitars are whatever works for you. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of fine axes, but truth be told, a lot of folks get very cool sounds out of instruments that are lesser known or of supposedly lesser quality.
100% Agree. I think you get issues only if if the frets are misplaced, or the tuning is not stable, something along those lines. And maybe also if the neck shape is so bad that it doesn't make you to learn how to properly use your hand, and you end up injuring yourself.

By the way guys: use the proper technique all the time. My left hand thumb flexor tendon is affected by tendinosis which I would have avoided had I played properly...

Anyway: the "at least in moderation" bit here cracked me up:
milo wrote: Those interests are not as eclectic as they may sound. American folk music is partly derived from Celtic music, and there is a lot in common between the genres. I like Celtic music too, at least in moderation.
Good stuff though. I am into neo-soul, dark-synthwave, techno and death-metal right now. Not sure how these 4 specifically...