Hello everyone!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jorymil

Hello everyone!

Post by jorymil »

Hi there folks, I'm John. I'm a Linux sysadmin by profession, and have been playing the trombone off and on since I was ten years old. Looking forward to meeting people here who know about which audio devices work well under Linux; in exchange, I can offer advice about Linux itself.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

jorymil wrote:Hi there folks, I'm John. I'm a Linux sysadmin by profession, and have been playing the trombone off and on since I was ten years old. Looking forward to meeting people here who know about which audio devices work well under Linux; in exchange, I can offer advice about Linux itself.
Welcome! I know of a series of cheap USB audio devices which are class compliant: the Behringer U-Phoria ones (well, most of them at least). I've got the 404: 4 in, 4 out. Enables you to record 4 separate audio tracks at once in a DAW. Costs about € 100.

Good luck! :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jorymil wrote:Looking forward to meeting people here who know about which audio devices work well under Linux
I have Alesis io2 and io4, both work ok.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Welcome and thank you for offering the quid-pro-quo (I'm certainly more musician than Linux, but Linux is, by far, the least annoying of the 3 OS for my taste).

To add to the database, the Focusrite Scarlett is a big favorite, from what I've read. I don't have one because when I was in the market for an interface I finally chose Native Instrument's Komplete, because of certain reports of Focusrite's feeble knob construction, plus a weak preamp that requires to be reinforced with another piece gear if you record vocals (but I guess playing a trombone it's difficult to have a problem of weak signal :D ).

It works flawlessly on Linux (although I cannot testify about its Midi capabilities because I don't use them). It turns out that the weak preamp thing is common to all interfaces in that price range, an I did have to supplement it in the end with a Cloudlifter. Other than that, the Komplete is reliable but a bit of a weirdo (it reminds me to the brand Phillips in other areas), and really sturdy (I doubt other interfaces could have survived a couple of accidents I've had with this one...)

With all the overflow of information in internet saying contradictory things, I thought maybe this personal case could be of some use to you. Welcome and happy music making :)
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I have been using a 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2 for the last 3 years or so, and I think it's great. Works out of the box on Linux and sounds great.