Migration to LInux

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scatterbrainz

Migration to LInux

Post by scatterbrainz »

Hey Folks,

I wouldn't call myself a pro more just an enthusiast. I recently migrated to a linux workstation from mac. It was aging, and I had spare PC parts around and thought - why not. I've been playing a piano on/off (although more off for 30 years). Self taught - started with Moonlight Sonata @ 15 - Hahahaha - go big or go home. LOL

Anyway...I'm just doing a setup here. I've got Rosegarden installed, but I seem to be missing a critical element. I route ALL sound (web / spotify / etc.) through my UR12 (steinberg) and 2 JBL LRS305's (monitor speakers). But I haven't figured out how to route the sound from Rosegarden to that. I don't even see it as an option anywhere. I have P105 Digital Piano (Yamaha), that Rosegarden recognizes I can record from it. But no sound out to UR12.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks
-scatterbrainz.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Migration to LInux

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

scatterbrainz wrote:Hey Folks,

I wouldn't call myself a pro more just an enthusiast. I recently migrated to a linux workstation from mac. It was aging, and I had spare PC parts around and thought - why not. I've been playing a piano on/off (although more off for 30 years). Self taught - started with Moonlight Sonata @ 15 - Hahahaha - go big or go home. LOL

Anyway...I'm just doing a setup here. I've got Rosegarden installed, but I seem to be missing a critical element. I route ALL sound (web / spotify / etc.) through my UR12 (steinberg) and 2 JBL LRS305's (monitor speakers). But I haven't figured out how to route the sound from Rosegarden to that. I don't even see it as an option anywhere. I have P105 Digital Piano (Yamaha), that Rosegarden recognizes I can record from it. But no sound out to UR12.

Thanks
-scatterbrainz.
Welcome to the forums.

Do you know of Jack Audio? That might be able to route audio to your external audio device.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Migration to LInux

Post by glowrak guy »

scatterbrainz wrote:Hey Folks,

Thanks
-scatterbrainz.
https://libremusicproduction.com/articl ... arted-jack

This guide will help with audio/midi i/o using jackd and a qjackctl gui.
Getting internet sounds into jack will probably require the
google-chrome-stable browser, and a pulse-to-jackd connection app/plugin,
the word 'sink' is used at times.
Your distro may or may not have default configs in place,
so pulseaudio and jackd wiki pages, and google results
may be helpful. I don't use pulse for audio production, but someone here
may have a working combo to share, I know it has been done.
vlc, smplayer, and other media players can use jackd, and plugins for those
are in most modern distros.
Cheers