Hello from WIsconsin,USA

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

BHArts1
Established Member

Hello from WIsconsin,USA

Postby BHArts1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 am

Hi, everyone! Briefly, I live near Wisconsin's capital city of Madison. I am a keyboard player and focus mostly on producing instrumental music. I have a website at https://brianhagenmusic.com/.
Last edited by BHArts1 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

folderol
Established Member

Re: Hello from WIsconsin,USA

Postby folderol » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 am

Hi, and welcome.
I think you'll find a fair few of us are also keyboard instrumentalists :)

milo
Established Member

Postby milo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, BHArts1! Southern Wisconsin - land of green pastures, lakes every half mile, and cheese. Pretty country, that.

What is your Linux experience? Are you a newbie or an old hand? What's your distro?

Please post some of your tunes in the Original Scores & Recordings subforum. We would love to hear them!

glowrak guy
Established Member

Postby glowrak guy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:42 pm

My great-grandparents had a career selling huge blocks of ice lovingly sawed
from the winter lakes freeze, stored in barns insulated with sawdust and hay.
I heard you didn't want to arm-wrestle with the staff :shock:

Welcome to the forum, grab Yoshimi/zynaddsubfx, hydrogen,
rakarrack, guitarix, calf effects, reaper daw, and some
commercial linux apps from U-he and the massive parts bin,
and be happy! 8)

BHArts1
Established Member

Postby BHArts1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 am

folderol wrote:Hi, and welcome.
I think you'll find a fair few of us are also keyboard instrumentalists :)

Sounds great; thanks!

BHArts1
Established Member

Postby BHArts1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:40 am

milo wrote:Welcome to the forum, BHArts1! Southern Wisconsin - land of green pastures, lakes every half mile, and cheese. Pretty country, that.

What is your Linux experience? Are you a newbie or an old hand? What's your distro?

Please post some of your tunes in the Original Scores & Recordings subforum. We would love to hear them!

--------------
Howdy, Milo! Yeah, here in Wisconsin we refer to summertime as "three months of lousy sledding weather" ;-)
Anyway, I have been using Unix and Linux for a very long time. My Linux recording experience has been cautious but modestly successful. I am gradually moving up to better resources with Linux. Right now it is Ubuntu Studio with Audacity (for the easy things) and Ardour 5. (I admit that I am on a long learning curve with Ardour.) Actually I am using a Yamaha AW16G hardware 16-track because I really like the physical switches, knobs, and such. I just got started running the "G"'s analog-out thru an interface into Ubuntu. It's working. :-)

I will look into posting some audio tracks. With three CDs on the market, I will choose what I think perhaps people will enjoy.

milo
Established Member

Postby milo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Ardour isn't as scary as it looks, although I remember feeling intimidated too. It really is miles ahead of Audacity though, so it's worth the effort to learn. I would suggest reading the Ardour manual: http://manual.ardour.org/toc/. It really is useful and informative, and quite readable.

Again, welcome. And good luck!

BHArts1
Established Member

Postby BHArts1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:17 am

milo wrote:Ardour isn't as scary as it looks, although I remember feeling intimidated too. It really is miles ahead of Audacity though, so it's worth the effort to learn. I would suggest reading the Ardour manual: http://manual.ardour.org/toc/. It really is useful and informative, and quite readable.

Again, welcome. And good luck!

Hello, Milo; thanks for the insight!

bluebell
Established Member

Postby bluebell » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 am

If you do a lot with MIDI then you should try Qtractor. Its MIDI editor can help in lots of ways including displaying other tracks' notes in a dimmed form as a guide.

The editor can automatically set, scale or vary parameters, creating ramps or edit controllers like the piano's hold pedal. Pedal pressed a bit too late? No problem. Click and move it.

foot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “New? We're glad you're here!”