Hello, Zrythm developer here

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alextee
Established Member

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Post by alextee »

TAERSH wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm I'm already on my limits trying to compile the default stuff like e.g. Qtractor with VST3 enabled etc.
When I'm looking what's needed to be installed in addition to compile it and to install meson & ninja, my toenails are rolling up. :wink:

Compiling Qtractor with VST3 enabled seemed to be a kids game compared to this...
if you use the latest LTS it's super easy to build. meson is a relatively new build system and zrythm needs a relatively new version of it to build. ubuntu 20.04 has this version.

if you choose to use an old distro that doesn't receive package updates then you can't really complain for not having the freshest packages. in any case, you can install latest meson from pip or you can git clone its repository and run meson.py from there directly if you don't want to install it
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

alextee wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 am
TAERSH wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 pm I'm already on my limits trying to compile the default stuff like e.g. Qtractor with VST3 enabled etc.
When I'm looking what's needed to be installed in addition to compile it and to install meson & ninja, my toenails are rolling up. :wink:

Compiling Qtractor with VST3 enabled seemed to be a kids game compared to this...
if you use the latest LTS it's super easy to build. meson is a relatively new build system and zrythm needs a relatively new version of it to build. ubuntu 20.04 has this version.

if you choose to use an old distro that doesn't receive package updates then you can't really complain for not having the freshest packages. in any case, you can install latest meson from pip or you can git clone its repository and run meson.py from there directly if you don't want to install it
Ubuntu Bionic Beaver is not an old distro. It's a LTS Distro. So, my own build from that LTS distro is also not an old system! I'm also not complaining about not to have the freshest packages. I'm simply not interested in changing/building a new Operating System each and every year. I don' want to do distro hopping every year to the newest version available and running into new problems year after year repeatedly. I simply don't need zrythm for real, as I'm pretty lucky to have Qtractor and being able to compile the newest version of it - even with vst3 enabled, after I succeeded to compile the VST3SDK in my own system.

Thanks...
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hello Alex,

Zrythm does not build on openSUSE TW due to linker problems:

https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:a ... rythm/_log

Could you please fix them? It's because of the global variables, they should be declared only once and be treated as external by all files which reference them.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Basslint wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:46 am Hello Alex,

Zrythm does not build on openSUSE TW due to linker problems:

https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:a ... rythm/_log

Could you please fix them? It's because of the global variables, they should be declared only once and be treated as external by all files which reference them.
I'm not using OBS anymore sorry. those are super old versions and I am not maintaining that anymore
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

alextee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:18 pm I'm not using OBS anymore sorry. those are super old versions and I am not maintaining that anymore
Then should we (GeekosDAW) maintain it ourselves, without branching from your repo?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Basslint wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm
alextee wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:18 pm I'm not using OBS anymore sorry. those are super old versions and I am not maintaining that anymore
Then should we (GeekosDAW) maintain it ourselves, without branching from your repo?
you are free to do so, however if you make modifications to zrythm please change the name/logo (see TRADEMARKS.md in the source code for details)
dhanushx012

Post by dhanushx012 »

I'd suggest upgrading to GNU/Linux Mint 19 since you are already on mint if you still want to use mint. It will work there. It also works on Ubuntu 18.10 (I think 18.04 too). Since it works there I think it's a waste of time to work on making Zrythm available in old distros (for now at least since it's under development), unless someone else is willing to do that (I can help). mx player get-mxplayer.in
Last edited by dhanushx012 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

dhanushx012 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm I'd suggest upgrading to GNU/Linux Mint 19 since you are already on mint if you still want to use mint. It will work there. It also works on Ubuntu 18.10 (I think 18.04 too). Since it works there I think it's a waste of time to work on making Zrythm available in old distros (for now at least since it's under development), unless someone else is willing to do that (I can help).
In general it is good practice for developers to start coding a project on an old stable or old LTS distribution because it usually paves the way forward for much better distro compatibility across the board. As an example Ardour 5.12 still runs like a watch on my old AV Linux 6.0.4 (based on Debian 6 from 2009), that is a very complicated program with lots of new cutting edge features but it's core still runs on very old distros, this of course is beyond the required norm but often when Audio developers become interested in porting or starting a project on Linux they automatically gravitate to the most recent Ubuntu release and then there are often many libc6 and other core library problems in getting things going on other Distros based on slightly older libraries..

Of course once a project has gotten as far as Zrythm has there is no putting toothpaste back in the tube and its just a matter of time and upgrades..
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm Of course once a project has gotten as far as Zrythm has there is no putting toothpaste back in the tube and its just a matter of time and upgrades..
But you can always be careful about future developments...also, static linking could help. On openSUSE Leap 15.2 for example we are stuck at LV2 1.14.0 and this means we can't easily build Zrythm which requires LV2 1.18.0.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm
In general it is good practice for developers to start coding a project on an old stable or old LTS distribution because it usually paves the way forward for much better distro compatibility across the board. As an example Ardour 5.12 still runs like a watch on my old AV Linux 6.0.4 (based on Debian 6 from 2009), that is a very complicated program with lots of new cutting edge features but it's core still runs on very old distros, this of course is beyond the required norm but often when Audio developers become interested in porting or starting a project on Linux they automatically gravitate to the most recent Ubuntu release and then there are often many libc6 and other core library problems in getting things going on other Distros based on slightly older libraries..

Of course once a project has gotten as far as Zrythm has there is no putting toothpaste back in the tube and its just a matter of time and upgrades..
Ardour is a real bad example you've chosen. Ardour runs in it's own environment and ignore/bypass most of the system library's, or do you talk about a self compiled version you build against system library's of Debian 6?
And I've a very different opinion about what is good practice to use on a new started project. Even for Ubuntu, the entry point for become part of the distribution is still debian/sid. So, when you plan or be interested that your project will be distributed by debian / Ubuntu, you should ensure that it run on debian/sid. Older versions of distributions you cant enter any-more anyway.
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 pm
GMaq wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Ardour is a real bad example you've chosen. Ardour runs in it's own environment and ignore/bypass most of the system library's, or do you talk about a self compiled version you build against system library's of Debian 6?
And I've a very different opinion about what is good practice to use on a new started project. Even for Ubuntu, the entry point for become part of the distribution is still debian/sid. So, when you plan or be interested that your project will be distributed by debian / Ubuntu, you should ensure that it run on debian/sid. Older versions of distributions you cant enter any-more anyway.
I meant I could still compile and run Ardour 5.X on a Linux that old but I haven't done so for quite a while, I'm not talking about simply just running the Ardour bundles. I doubt Ardour 6 would still build and I'm not going to try.

You're a developer I am not and you're certainly more informed on the details of developing than I am but I have been building and trying to get things to work together on Linux Audio systems for more than 12 years now and I can certainly tell you that apps and plugins built on older libraries and libc6 versions are much more end-user friendly and 'distro-agnostic' to work with. I know falkTX and the Drumgizmo guys as a couple of examples try and build their binaries on very old systems or at least they did in the past. The other side of the solution is the vendor provides the specialized libraries in bundled packaging like Ardour, Mixbus, Blender, Reaper, BitWig and many more do. The kind of stuff that is currently happening with Zrythm and distros outside of the Debuntu world (like Basslint has said) is really the reason that bundled packaging and things like Snap, flatpak and AppImage are becoming so popular.