Hello, Zrythm developer here

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

alextee
Established Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby alextee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi all, admins o/

I'm the lead developer of Zrythm (https://www.zrythm.org) and I was wondering if I could get a subforum in here for Zrythm related discussions.

Please reply, PM me or reach me on IRC (alextee on freenode, or #zrythm) if we could work something out!

Thanks, and nice to meet you all : )

Musicteacher
Established Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 am

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby Musicteacher » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Welcome onboard!

I sure hope that someone will contact you soon!

nilshi
Established Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby nilshi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Welcome!

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I read on your webpage about how to install for systems based on Apt that your software is meant for Debian Buster. However, Buster isn't released at this moment (see Debian releases page). You sure it will work on current and older systems?

I use a very old version of Mint and I get tis error message in Synaptic:

Code: Select all

Failed to fetch https://apt.alextee.org/debian/dists/buster/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

And if I try to install ZRythm it won't because of unmet dependencies (i.e. my distro contains versions of libs that are too old):

Code: Select all

zrythm:
  Depends: libc6 (>=2.27) but 2.19-0ubuntu6.14 is to be installed
 Depends: libdazzle-1.0-0 (>=3.25.3) but it is not installable
  Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>=3.21.5) but 3.10.8~8+qiana is to be installed
  Depends: liblilv-0-0 (>=0.24.0~dfsg0) but 0.16.0~dfsg0-1 is to be installed
 Depends: libsmf0 but it is not going to be installed
  Depends: libsratom-0-0 (>=0.6.0~dfsg0) but 0.4.4~dfsg0-1 is to be installed
  Depends: libsuil-0-0 (>=0.10.0~dfsg0) but 0.6.16~dfsg0-1 is to be installed

Could you tell which are the minimal distro requirements for Debian based systems like Debian, Ubuntu and Mint?

alextee
Established Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby alextee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm

@Linuxmusician01

Buster is already released as "testing". It's just not been released as "stable" yet.

Zrythm won't work on any debian-based systems older than buster. Even GTK versions are old there so it's too much effort to make it work and I decided to work on more important things like features and stability, since buster stable release will be near the first Zrythm release in a couple of months.

I'd suggest upgrading to GNU/Linux Mint 19 since you are already on mint if you still want to use mint. It will work there. It also works on Ubuntu 18.10 (I think 18.04 too). Since it works there I think it's a waste of time to work on making Zrythm available in old distros (for now at least since it's under development), unless someone else is willing to do that (I can help).

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby khz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:16 pm

:welcome:

Bits from the Release Team: Debian 10 'buster' is now in the soft freeze >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/02/msg00008.html
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

alextee
Established Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby alextee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm

\o/

Death
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby Death » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 am

Ooh nice. Another Linux DAW for me to try, with LV2 support too :D Never heard of this one before. I just installed it via the apt instructions and everything seemed to go ok. But when I open the program, I can't maximise the window or get the preferences menu to open (or any other menu options working for that matter). There's been no messages about dependencies. Any ideas why that is? I'm using Mint 19.1 btw.

Sorry to bug you with a support question in your opening thread here, but I'm pretty interested in trying this one out! Thanks.

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby khz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 am

FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

alextee
Established Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby alextee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

Death wrote:Ooh nice. Another Linux DAW for me to try, with LV2 support too :D Never heard of this one before. I just installed it via the apt instructions and everything seemed to go ok. But when I open the program, I can't maximise the window or get the preferences menu to open (or any other menu options working for that matter). There's been no messages about dependencies. Any ideas why that is? I'm using Mint 19.1 btw.

Sorry to bug you with a support question in your opening thread here, but I'm pretty interested in trying this one out! Thanks.


Please remember that it's still unreleased so a lot of things are not working yet. But those you mentioned should be kinda working at the moment. You should install the deb file mentioned in the README manually. That's always the latest version and getting updated multiple times a day (since zrythm is unreleased I'm not updating the repos too often). If all goes well I can release a first version in a couple of months.

If you are on a newish distro like GNU/Linux mint 19.1 it won't complain about dependencies, it can pull them automatically. You only get errors on dependencies if apt can't find them (repo versions too old or some libraries don't exist - libdazzle doesn't exist on older debian distros)

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Are you planning on making your DAW available in the KXStudio repositories in the future? That's what a lot of Linuxers use for their music software.

alextee
Established Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby alextee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Are you planning on making your DAW available in the KXStudio repositories in the future? That's what a lot of Linuxers use for their music software.

yeah I already talked to falktx about this, he said he can host it there.

i'll also investigate more about AppImages and flatpaks. I was under the impression they won't work with jack

Death
Established Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Postby Death » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

alextee wrote:Please remember that it's still unreleased so a lot of things are not working yet. But those you mentioned should be kinda working at the moment. You should install the deb file mentioned in the README manually. That's always the latest version and getting updated multiple times a day (since zrythm is unreleased I'm not updating the repos too often). If all goes well I can release a first version in a couple of months.

If you are on a newish distro like GNU/Linux mint 19.1 it won't complain about dependencies, it can pull them automatically. You only get errors on dependencies if apt can't find them (repo versions too old or some libraries don't exist - libdazzle doesn't exist on older debian distros)


Ah I see. My bad. Well I've got the repos setup now so I'll just check it after the next update there. Until then.. Cheers :)


Return to “New? We're glad you're here!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest