Hello all!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Dominique
Established Member

Hello all!

Post by Dominique »

Hi all!

I am an old linux user from Switzerland. I am using linux audio from many years ago, now on gentoo.

Happy to finally be gere!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Hello all!

Post by Michael Willis »

Dominique wrote:Hi all!
Hi Dominique! Ages ago I went through a Gentoo phase, but for about three last 12 years I've been running things in the Debian family. Then in 2015 I started learning in earnest about music production on Linux. I must admit that I have sometimes wondered if Gentoo would help in the quest for ever lower latencies, but for now I am content with a heavily modified Elementary OS on my music machine. I'm curious about how you configure Gentoo for making music, and what results you get.
Dominique
Established Member

Re: Hello all!

Post by Dominique »

Michael Willis wrote:
Dominique wrote:Hi all!
Hi Dominique! Ages ago I went through a Gentoo phase, but for about three last 12 years I've been running things in the Debian family. Then in 2015 I started learning in earnest about music production on Linux. I must admit that I have sometimes wondered if Gentoo would help in the quest for ever lower latencies, but for now I am content with a heavily modified Elementary OS on my music machine. I'm curious about how you configure Gentoo for making music, and what results you get.
Hi Michael! For now, it is 2 gentoo overlay for the audio. The old pro-audio overlay and a new proaudio overlay. It is also gentoo studio which is more or less the equivalent of debian multimedia or ubuntu studio.

For latencies, you must consider the kernel and the CFLAGS setup in portage. The more important speed gain you will get is by optimising the CPU setup into the kernel into Processor type and features ---> Processor family. It is very to do so: install the sources of your kernel, copy the .config into the sources, run "make oldconfig", run "make menuconfig" and change the CPU setup, compile and install the kernel. The exact procedure will depend on your distribution. When done, reboot and enjoy a speed which will be almost the same than with gentoo, the difference will be so marginal than only some benchmarks will show it.