Electric Bassoonist, long time linux user, now combining the two

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jazzbassoon
Established Member

Electric Bassoonist, long time linux user, now combining the two

Post by jazzbassoon »

Hello all!
I've been using linux for probably 11 years now, playing bassoon for about 17 years, and electrically off and on for the last 10 years or so. Most of it has been with effects pedals and playing in jazz combos, although I've started finding solo literature for electric bassoon. I haven't been able to afford an audio interface (poor college student) so I haven't done much with electric bassoon and linux, but I got a guitar usb cord that allows me to at least start the process. My main distro has been arch, but I was having problems with getting some of the audio programs to work and thought I'd try kxstudio and see how it works. I just finished the install, so it's about time to test it out!

I'm a DM student in bassoon with doctoral minors in music theory and music history if that information is useful to anyone! Although I haven't done much in the jazz world of theory. Anyways excited to join a community that so closely matches my life!
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Electric Bassoonist, long time linux user, now combining the two

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi there!

Bassoon is a truly fascinating instrument, glad you are here!
jazzbassoon wrote:I'm a DM student in bassoon with doctoral minors in music theory and music history if that information is useful to anyone!
That's pretty interesting. Feel free to share your knowledge here, there are few forum sections that are perfect for that!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

The the name jazz basson is so awesome! Welcome, hope we can hear some recordings soon! Best of luck with linux audio!
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm really curious what you can do with the electric bassoon. If you're looking for remote collaborators, I can contribute clarinet and/or piano parts.
jazzbassoon
Established Member

Post by jazzbassoon »

Electric bassoon is a pretty cool thing, and somewhat new. You use a pickup that's attached to the bocal that goes out to a 1/4 inch plug that gets you into any guitar effect pedal. I'll see if I can get some recordings up so you can hear it!