Hey all and Thanx for adding me to the board!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

strat4play
Established Member

Hey all and Thanx for adding me to the board!

Post by strat4play »

I'm new in trying to use linux for recording music, I haven't even tried hooking up anything yet. Windows crashed everything including my recovery drive, and unable to buy a new full copy of Win10, I went with Linux Mint 19.3 64 bit on Asus laptop with 16 gb ram and 1 TB HD. I was using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as an interface, and was recording with Acoustica Mixcraft 7. I do not know how to assemble packages, so having a hard time finding the Focusrite drivers. The computer sees the device when its plugged in, but I also prefer using the 2i2 as my main audio output. Again thanks for the Adm Nathan for the add, and I'll take all the help and direction I can to get me started. I already downloaded Jack and the ALSA packages, just dont know where to start!
khz
Established Member

Re: Hey all and Thanx for adding me to the board!

Post by khz »

Welcome && feel free like freedom.
Maybe you can find some help here.
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info viewtopic.php?p=30105#p30105
Have fun. :-D
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

strat4play wrote:I do not know how to assemble packages, so having a hard time finding the Focusrite drivers.
Welcome aboard! I'm using Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 and it has worked great for me on Linux. You shouldn't need drivers, as they should come built-in with Linux. To get started, you also should not have to build your own packages, but I can recommend learning how to use the KXStudio packages - you can add its package collection to your current Mint install and it should be fine. Use the command line terminal to do the following:

Code: Select all

# Install required dependencies if needed
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https software-properties-common wget

# Download package file
wget https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/+archive/kxstudio/+files/kxstudio-repos_9.4.9~kxstudio1_all.deb

# Install it
sudo dpkg -i kxstudio-repos_9.4.9~kxstudio1_all.deb
(These are the instructions from http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories)

Once you do that, you should be able to download all of the latest and greatest open source audio packages using your package manager (Somebody who knows Mint better than me can help you know what it uses as a package manager).

After that, it really depends on what you want to do; if you just want to get started recording, you should try out a few different DAW programs and see which one you like - people around here will recommend Ardour, QTractor, LMMS, Rosegarden, Muse, etc., each of which has its own strengths and everybody tends to gravitate toward one or two that they prefer. To help you more at that point, it would help to know exactly what you want to do.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Welcome. Yeah, stop thinking about drivers when you're on Linux! I've had a few Focusrite Scarlets including the 2i2 and they are typically plug and play.

You'll have a little learning curve, but once you get going you'll be fine. This is a good overview of what you need to know.

Tip: when scouring the internet for info on the obscure world of making music on Linux, always check the date. There's a LOT of outdated garbage out there. It's much easier than it used to be.
listenable at c6a7.org
strat4play
Established Member

Post by strat4play »

Thanx guys for your responses. Your right, I plugged in my 2i2 to a usb port, went to sound settings, viola, now i'm back using the scarlet as my sound card. So I'm good there. Will take your advise, and this probably be the first of many post for help. Thanks again!