Greetings from South Africa, hello lovely Linux people

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mdavisto

Greetings from South Africa, hello lovely Linux people

Post by mdavisto »

Hi all,

I have been making music with computers for almost 3 decades now, starting out on the Atari. It was my career for many years, but is now largely a hobby that I do purely for pleasure.

I am one half of an internet duo called Mass Love, we make mostly synthpop infused with hiphop and orchestra.

Over time, I have dabbled with a full switch to Linux, but there have always been a few things that held me back. Currently the list is:

- awful drivers for my graphics card (radeon R9 200). It runs like a beast under Windows, and like a brick under Linux.
- Massive Steam library of titles that don't have native Linux versions.
- A decades-long love affair with FL Studio.

However, pretty much everything else I do, I use FOSS for, so a full switch to Linux is not totally outrageous. I will be attempting to do this over the next few weeks, and so will be pestering you all with questions. Hopefully I'll get past the teething phase quickly, so that we can move on to the "what synth is cool" phase, and the "try this delicious preset I made" phase.

Thank you.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Greetings from South Africa, hello lovely Linux people

Post by folderol »

Welcome aboard :)
You'll find Linux audio is very different from what you are using, and it will be a steep learning curve at first, but stick with it and you won't be sorry.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
mdavisto

Post by mdavisto »

Thanks folderol.

For this attempt to jump ship, I have provisionally selected Arch Linux. Holding thumbs!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Arch Linux should be a fine choice. I think that there are a few Arch Linux users active on this forum, so you should be able to get help here specifically about the distro if you need it.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Lekker, another South African! Welcome and all the best with your full switch journey.